What song do you want played at your funeral?

“Barbie Girl” by Aqua… oh wait! That’s my guilty pleasure song…

Hmmmmm, I’ll be dead, soooooooooo, I pick “What Do You Think of Me Now” By Relative Ash

My first choice would be whatever was the hottest new release of the second week of June, 2112.

Absent that, maybe John Prine’s “Please Don’t Bury Me” ("I’d rather have them cut me up, pass me all around…)

Or maybe, who was it?, Pure Prairie League’s “Why Don’t We Get Drunk and Screw” and Little Feat’s “Don’t Bogart That Joint.” I expect there to be one hell of a party going on.

Hijack—This just reminded me. About a week after my grandmother’s funeral, I got a sympathy card that said, “She is not dead. She is only sleeping.” My first thought was, “Jesus Christ, and we BURIED her!!!”

Jethro Tull’s “Lick Your Fingers Clean”. Just because.

Definatly Dancing Queen by Abba. I just think it would be fun.

I would also like to have a ferris wheel and funnel cakes at my funeral. And fireworks! There has to be fireworks.

“Laugh and Be Happy”, by Sheriff John

Daydream”, by Lovin’ Spoonful

“Ain’t No Grave Gonna Hold My Body Down”

No one has said the obvious?

Wish you were here- Pink Floyd.

Presumably this would be directed to those that precipitated my demise. And the idiot drivers in front of me who have always driven too slow.

The Theme from Schindler’s List… followed by BNL’s cover of “Gin and Juice”, because it’s a fun song.

I’d hijack “Where You Are” by Gypsy Soul, which was written for another individual’s passing, but is so damn beautiful, I’d want it as my own as well (and hope that Cilette and Roman wouldn’t mind).

“amazing grace… with bagpipes, of course.”

Oh my God! I have to second that one. A funeral with “Amazing Grace” on the bagpipes has to be just about the most emotionally powerful thing known to mankind. It’s just so damned mournful, like the dead person themselves is moaning. I cry when I see funerals in bad movies if they play “Amazing Grace” on the bagpipes!

With that song playing, people who can’t stand me would cry if they attended my funeral. :slight_smile:

Any of these choices:

1. Gymnopédie, No. 1, by Erik Satie
  2. Funeral March for a Marionette, by Gounod
  3. Siegfried’s Funeral Music, by Wagner
  4. Adagio, by Albinoni

I would go for either #1 or #4 (or both) if I really wanted to depress the hell out of my mourners (well, damnit, I sure don’t want them to be happy to see me go!).

“Staying Alive”

<runs out of room>

Amen to that! Or “Danny Boy” on the bagpipes. Either one would be gorgeous.

My choices:

“Going To Your Funeral” – Eels
“The Parting Glass” – Celtic Nots
“Fly Away” – John Denver

OK, I’m going to be a nit-picker for a bit. But it’s funeral music, so we HAVE to take it seriously!

Crunchy Frog: the correct spelling is Denis Leary. One “n”.
RealityChuck: Beethoven, not -van. And it’s “Ode to Joy”.
Cisco: your post sent shivers down my spine. Eerie.
ZeGirl: “Whiter Shade of Pale” is about getting extremely drunk.
CNoteChris: “Wish you were here” is about Sid Barret’s insanity.

There. I’m all done now :wink:

Well, I’ve always loved the idea of having Amazing Grace playing on the bagpipes. Also, Shine on You Crazy Diamond by Pink Floyd by byaSFsghas a certain sadness to it that would be appropriate.

For sure: “The Lost Chord” by Sir Arthur Sullivan

Optional:
“In Paradisum” from the Gregorian chant requiem mass
“In Paradisum” from Faure’s Requiem
“The Last Words of David” by Randall Thompson

As for “Amazing Grace”, I’m just not crazy about it, so I’d rather it not be included. Unless it’s sung to the tune of “Gilligan’s Island.” Not that I’m crazy about “Gilligan’s Island”, either. But I think the combination is funny.

Oh, and maybe just for a laugh: “Happy Trails To You” (Roy Rogers)

Prop Me Up Beside The Jukebox (If I Die). I’ve already informed my family of this.

euology by tool
rain by switchblade symphony
before i go by unwritten law
lovesong by the cure
blasphemous rumours by depeche mode