What team do you associate Nolan Ryan with?

Very simple poll. If you hear, “Nolan Ryan” which team do you associate him with?

Baseball. He’s a pitcher I think.

That’s all I got. :slight_smile:

This is an interesting question. Here just for kicks, with any addition error being mine, are Ryan’s W-L record with each team
Mets 29-38
Angels 128-121
Astros 106-94
Rangers 51-39

At the moment, Astros is winning by a 2-1 margin over the Rangers with the Angels, where he won the most games, getting no votes at all. I voted for Houston myself, but with me it was close call between Houston and California.

I voted Rangers. And I wouldn’t charge the mound against him to this day :smiley:

Rangers, but only because he’s associated himself with them post-career.

His prime was as an Angel more than anyone else, though,

In a Venn diagram showing the intersection of me paying attention to baseball and Nolan Ryan’s career, the intersection would be his time with the Angels. However, my mental picture of Ryan today is him in that Ogforesaken, hideous Houston Astros uniform.

When I learned how to play baseball and started watching it, he was a Ranger. I didn’t even know he played for any other team until after he had retired.

Well, he did grow up near Houston. I remember him doing Whattaburger commercials. back in the 80s.

I remember him best as an Astro because he was one when I started watching baseball.

If I were doing his Hall of Fame plaque though, he’d be an Angel.

I voted for the Texas Rangers.

And I agree with Oakminster. I didn’t see *who *charged the mound against him, and I don’t even like baseball, but I remember he kicked *somebody’s *butt.

When I was a kid getting into baseball he was an Astro, so Astros it is.

And it was Robin Ventura he beat up.

Since I’m a Mets fan, that how I remember him – the good being his appearance in the 1969 World Series (in relief) for his only World Championship appearance.

BTW, I don’t think the Mets were wrong in trading Ryan: if you look at his record his final year with them – especially the second half of the season – it shows a stinko pitcher who was losing his skills. He was never going to do them much good (and Ryan has admitted as much), so it made sense to trade him for the best shortstop in the American League. Things didn’t work out in the long run, but the deal cannot be faulted as a mistake.

Sure it can. It falls into the category of “Mistakes that seemed like a good idea at the time, such as the Ford Esdel and New Coke.”

As a New Yorker I also voted Mets, though of course the highlights of his career were elsewhere.

Who was 26 when he was beat up by the 46 year old Ryan.

The baseball card I have depicting the brawl is one of my most prized possessions.

I recognize the name, but would have no idea who he played for.

I voted Angels. That’s where he threw most of his no-hitters and his record-setting strikeout season. He had a great career with the two Texas teams as well, but I’ll always think of his feats as mainly being Angels-related.

No. It was a trade that didn’t work out, not a bad trade. Two different things.

There isn’t a baseball expert in the world, given the data at the time and not knowing the future, who thought it was a bad idea. People at the time were complaining that the Angels had been robbed.

Look at the statistics: Ryan stunk up the ballpark the previous year and was clearly regressing on all fronts. There was absolutely not reason to believe he would be anything other than a guy with a great, wild fastball and little else – a Dick Radatz, or, at best, a Sam McDowell.

Fregosi at the time had better career statistics than Derek Jeter at a comparable point in his career. One can argue Jeter is overrated, but, in any case, giving up a bunch of minor leaguers and a wild pitcher who never lived up to his promise for Jeter would be considered a great deal for whatever team got Jeter.

#1. Have you got a cite for that?

Here’s SI’s 1972 baseball preview issue which doesn’t back that up: Cite.

No offense to Fregosi whatsoever, but one would think that Fregosi in ‘72 was as highly regarded as Jeter is now, that his absence would be mentioned in the first paragraph, not the third of the Angels’ preview, and would’ve been reported more enthusiastically in the Mets’ preview.

In short, it was a trade for a old guy tailing off for a young guy with a ton of potential who hadn’t produced yet. Lou Brock for Ernie Broglio was the same type of trade. Ask any Cub fan if that was a bad trade.

1. Oh please. Baseball and sports “experts” are very frequently absolutely wrong, as any one who’s watched the talking-head-shows on ESPN can tell you.

As a New Yorker, Texas, Rangers first, then Astros.