What the hell are you doing up at 3AM?

Me. I keep strange hours. I worked the night shift for over 20 years and now I’m retired. The body still says stay awake when it’s dark and sleep when the sun comes up. I rarely go to bed before 2 or wake before 11. So, what are you doing up at this hour?

Me? I’m working. Or maybe I should say “working.” It’s a slow night here at the hotel, so I’m actually surfing the net, playing games on Facebook, and taking care of some personal stuff - planning a wedding, getting credit reports for an upcoming move, etc.

“working”. :frowning: and it’s only 1 AM right now.

I teach and have odd hours - sometimes my classes don’t end until 11:30 PM so by the time I get home and unwind, and follow up on emails, it is 1 or 2 in the morning. Luckily, I only have two early classes this quarter, so I can sleep in.

Plus, I have always been a night person.

I was born at 6:57 AM and I like to say that is the first, and only, time I have ever gotten up that early on my own free will.

I was about to say “hey, it’s only 2 AM!” But then I looked at my clock, and thought “crap, I really need to go to bed.” :smack:

I’m just sitting here chilling and listening to music. But I should be getting to bed soon…my sleep schedule is pretty wacky, and that’s not a good thing when I’m on my feet from 9-3.

Well, here it’s seven in the evening. But, as it happens, I was up at 3am and all subsequent morning hours, due to Insomniac Toddler thinking 3 till 4 was a fine time to sit up in his bed and start chattering away to himself for an hour.

And he’s still got a runny nose so he’ll probably do it again tonight :smack:

Do you REALLY want to know what the hell I’m up to at 3 am? I hesitate here…

I’ve always been a night owl. Once I got online, it became worse. My first online service was Quantumlink, and it operated from 6 PM to 6 AM, and then shut down for 12 hours, so I hated to go to bed while I could still be online.

Night owl here as well. It’s just after 5 AM and my roomie is waking up to make breakfast. I’m pouring another drink.

I’ve always been a night owl. I think I have something like a 30-hr day body clock. Because I’m always all over the scale.

I am on a med now that makes me drowsy in a big way, so I take my pills, function for about an hour, then fall asleep for a few hours, wake up and function for a while, then take my midday pills, function for an hour or so then fall asleep for a few hours, wake up and do dinner and whatnot, take my pills and function for an hour or so then fall asleep, and wake up at about 3 or so and lay in bed watching tv or playing on the computer until 5 am,

lather rinse repeat. I seem to have 3 4 hour sleep periods a day and no real bedtime sleep all night ability right now. Glad I am not trying to hold down a full time job …

What is this sun that you speak of? We must worship it. I have heard good things about it, but I’ve never seen it, and yet it’s EVERYWHERE! And any religion with someone named Peanuthead as the messiah would just be cool.

I am recovering from major surgery and must remain very still, no bending or twisting allowed. And I have slept only maybe 90 minutes per night since the 21st. HYPER-Woman here, I am driving my husband nuts because he is having a sinus reaction to something that is blooming RIGHT NOW and would like to sleep from, say, 11pm to 7:30am. And I am knocking about keeping him awake while he is struggling to breathe and nap a little. I surf the web and watch TV.

Feeding my son… although he generally sleeps through until 4/4:30am now if we manage to sneak in a dreamfeed before we go to bed…

Grim

Working the nightly grind dude.

I was timing contractions and muttering, “What’s your hurry, anyway?” to my stomach. Thankfully, it was false labor. I’ve got a lot to do before this kid’s born and apparently less time to do it in than I thought.

It was 3:24 a.m. this morning, does that count? LOL

The alarm in the house went off for no apparent reason. I dash out of bed to try to shut the thing off, all the while dogs are howling because they really get into the alarm sound, and hubby’s trying valiantly to ignore the ear-splitting alarm.

Then I called the alarm company to tell them everything was fine don’t send anyone, and they said, “We don’t show that your alarm went off. We need to test your system.”

Say I, “Not right now, thanks, it’s 3:30 a.m. and my husband’s trying to get back to sleep. I’ll call you after he leaves for work,” hang up, and trundle back to bed.

Only to have the alarm go off again at 4:30 a.m. Repeat scenario, only I stay awake that time – and I remove the offending CO2 detector’s batteries.

The service tech is going to be here tomorrow.

Night owl/insomniac, even though I have to get up at the unnatural hour of 6:30 AM. I was up with one eye on a feverish child, one eye watching “Village of the Damned,” one eye dozing off.

The night before last I was up at 3 AM because I was sick (not the flu, thankfully) and simply couldn’t really sleep; I fell asleep for a couple of hours, barely, and then was up from about 1 to 3 and then barely slept until my phone rang at 6:15 (dratted credit card people think I’m on the East Coast because my phone number is from there and I’ve never changed it)…and got up. Then I took three longish naps during the day. And last night I slept like a baby.

Today I feel more human. Maybe 80% or so. And I better not be up at 3 AM again or I will be pissed. I am totally not a night owl.

Well, I wasn’t up at 3 this morning. But I’m that strange type of insomniac (I’m sure it has a particular name) where I fall asleep just fine, usually somewhere around 10:30PM. Then, around 3AM, I wake up needing to use the bathroom (this bathroom at 3AM thing has been happening for years; the insomnia is more recent), and it’s really a coin-toss as to whether I’ll get back to sleep.

On school mornings, my alarm is set for 6AM. So if I lay there, sleepless, until 4AM, I’ll just get up and start the coffee, and get my day going. I figure if I fall asleep at 5AM and only get to sleep until 6AM, I’ll feel worse than if I just freakin’ get out of bed.