What the hell is going on in Washington today?

Lady Chance tells me that some of the bridges across the Potomac have been closed and that every single car approaching the Pentagon (1/2 mile from her office) is being searched.

There’s nothing on CNN or Washpost.com about it.

Anyone hear anything?

My guess would be that it has to do with being on Tang Alert…I mean Orange Alert.

Could be any combination of things, or maybe just rumors. A report on Yahoo said the CIA suspects there may be a terrorist attack this week. http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/ap/20030211/ap_on_go_co/congress_terrorism_13

Or it all could be weather related. Here around Philly we got some light snow this morning and there’s been tons of acidents and even some road closings. The bidges could be closed due to ice or freezing conditions.

They rarely search cars for snow. And we’re bright and clear today.

Sounds like they got something to kick them into overdrive.

I found this. Any chance that’s what it is?

Damn, that was supposed to be “Preview Reply.”

What I was going to say was, I’m not personally familiar with the procedures of an Amber Alert, but I thought it was worth mentioning.

KtK, no, that’s in Maryland (and up in Baltimore).

I’d heard about that but unless they’ve extended it to Northern Virginia without announcing it (which they might have done) I can’t see that being it.

Groovy. The only thing I know about DC geography is how to get from Reagan to Quantico and back. :slight_smile:

I’m sure it’s the terrorist threats. I heard on the news this morning that Bin Laden has issued a “message” each time there has been an attack. They believe his “message” is a signal to the cells to carry out whatever plan is next. Since he recently issued another message, the authorities believe another attack (possibly on the scale of 9-11) is planned for the immediate future. New York and Washington, DC are apparently the prime targets. (surprise)

I doubt it has any connection with the Amber Alert going on right now in Baltimore. They have the make/model/color and partial tag number of the car involved so it doesn’t appear likely they would be searching every car.

You mean we are simultaneously under Amber Alert and Orange Alert?

Where’s a good hurricane when you need one.

Those colors don’t seem to go well together.

But yeah, the OBL deal would be my guess.

Amber Alerts are for missing children.

Orange Alerts are for the degree of threat to the US.

Or have I just been whooshed? :slight_smile:

Maybe a little bit.

I suppose I’m trying to figure out why today and not yesterday or the day before.

So, are we going to have to start color coordinating our alert levels now?

I fear stellar7 might be bang on. Let’s take a deep breath and hope we’re wrong. Nothing’s happened yet and with all the surveliance there’s a good chance we’d be able to stop something before it’s carried out. I actually have a good amount of faith in our guys and will be alert but will leave the worrying up to them.

Good lord I hope not, because I look absolutely horrendous in pink.

Route 110 has been scary ever since 9/11. No busses or trucks are permitted from either direction, and to show people that they mean business, there is a monster jeep (Hummvee?) positioned off the side of the road partially covered by camo-tarp. This thing has what looks like a monster gatling gun mounted to it. I guess they’re going to drill holes into any truck or buss that approaches?

Anyway, I’m a few blocks from the White House and haven’t heard about anything out of the ordinary.

Sorry, not route 110, but whatever that road is that runs right next to the Pentagon - between it and the potomac river.

Just saw this on yahoo. Things getting a might spooky down washington way.