What to do with a bottle of whisky.

Oh, yes. And a pretty good one at that.

Well, if you don’t want to drink it… you could can a homemade Polar Bear BBQ sauce and sell it back to the Canadians. A BBQ sauce with Canadian whisky in it would probly sell well over da border. Canadians are lushes, Dude.

Of what is left, mix 1/4 cup whisky with 1/4 cup good soy sauce and 4 tablespoons of sugar, preferably brown. Stir fry small beef cubes in butter until nicely brown, pour the whisky/soy sauce mixture over the beef and stir until the sauce thickens. Goes nice over rice.

(CC and Beam seem to have the best flavor when cooking, Jack ends up tasting too watered down and most other Canadian “Blended” whiskys are not quite as tasty as CC IMHO)

You sound like my ex (who drank both CC and CR) and my dad (who drinks burboun and ginger). People look like they enjoy the hell outta the stuff but I just can’t relate. Oh well…all the more for youze guys!

Wow. I always thought it was a bourbon. Just wiki’d it and apparently it is a Tennessee whiskey.

Bourbon is a type of whiskey.

Sheesh… if Jack Daniels is “pretty good”, I’d sure hate to sample some not-so-good whiskey!

There’s a lot of better whiskies (Bourbon, Tennessee and Canadian) out there for more or less the same price- Maker’s Mark, Crown Royal, even Jim Beam!

Italics mine.

That is indeed quite evident! :wink:

I wonde, what does the whiskey do to enhance the flavour of the sauce?
Does it matter which whiskey brand you use? Is there a non-alcoholic solution that
mimics the same flavour?

I might try that BBQ sauce idea though

Get yourself some Sweet Vermouth and some ice for a Manhattan, add a dash of bitters for a Paddy Cocktail, or mix some cherry-flavoured brandy and some cranberry juice into your whiskey and add an ice cube or two for an Aquarius.

*Early in the morning? *

Which is why I said “pretty good.”

Beam is OK, Maker’s Mark is excellent, Crown Royal is yak-piss. Isn’t arguing over personal tastes fun?

If you stir fry the sauce will get very hot and most of the actual alcohol will be gone by the time you eat the stir-fry. To get somewhere similar non-alcoholically I’d use some raw sugar or molasses for richness, and chipolte or liquid-smoke for smokeyness. You probably can’t simulate the flavour but might make something similar in appeal.

It may be possible to render whiskey alcohol free for cooking (at least no more alcohol than is naturally presant in ripe fruit) by gently simmering a pan of whiskey for half an hour. But even then a strict non-alcohol person such as a Muslim would not consider that necessarily enough.

Sure is! I’m not even a Canadian whiskey guy myself- I just know a lot of people who swear by Crown… I think it’s passable, but not as odd-tasting as Jack Daniels.

As for me, I likes some rye whiskey and Scotch- Old Overholt and Dimple Pinch are my current bottles. Yes, I know Pinch is a blend, but it’s a good one.

Beam Rye for me. Single-malt scotch…I can’t abide most blends. (I think it dates back to a bad incident involving a bottle of Cutty Sark, a bottle of Pepsi, and a swimming pool.)

But tonight’s libation is a glass of Old Forester Birthday Bourbon, neat. Yum-O.

I’m not big on blends either, but I must say I have no problems with Cutty. That’s a weird one.