What to do with a rabbit in the fridge?

Yesterday I got a rabbit through my farm share. I’ve eaten rabbit once before, and have no idea what to do with it. Any suggestions/recipes for rabbit that might showcase it a bit? I suppose I could freeze some of it as well, so it could be a whole-rabbit recipe or a part-rabbit recipe. I have an oven and range, and have access to a simple charcoal grill.

Do you have any favourite recipes for chicken? Almost anything you can do with chicken can be done to rabbit.

Whatever you do, don’t make soup with it.

cook it like you would squirrel only longer.

it is small and so will dry easily. covered roasting might be best.

Really? Why not? I got one suggestion from a friend for stew, which she said had come out quite tasty for her.

Because people don’t like to find hare in their soup.

Eonwe, I can’t believe you handed TriPolar an opening like that. (Actually, I thought it was a reference to Fatal Attraction-style bunny-boiling.)

Many aeons ago, I made Julia Child’s recipe for rabbit and leek pie, and it was quite yummy.

I assumed it was the old Merrie Melodies/Looney Tunes cartoon about trying to make Bugs into soup, but on Googling, it was “All This and Rabbit Stew.”

And my smart-ass thought upon seeing the thread title was, “Let him out or he’ll eat all your greens!” I personally threaten my rabbits with a hasenpfeffer recipe when they’re misbehaving. :smiley:

I’ve made rabbit stew on several occasions and I love it.

Chop up the rabbit and brown the pieces.

Then fry onions and garlic. Add salt pepper and your favorite herbs and spices (thyme goes well). Add in chopped potatoes, carrots, celery (or whatever else veggies you want – fresh brussels sprouts work for me). When they’re cooked, add back the rabbit (with bone), cover with water or stock and simmer until done.

Yum!

My wife blanches at the notion of eating identifiable bunny parts, so I usually end up turning rabbit into breakfast sausage.

Take 2/3 rabbit, 1/3 hog jowls (ask your butcher), season heavily with salt, pepper, add sage, thyme and crushed red pepper. Grind coarsely, form into patties and freeze.

Soak it in brine overnight. Marinate in buttermilk for a couple of hours and then fry it like chicken.

Anything except roast it. Rabbit is lean lean lean, and needs to have moisture added while cooking. I like it as pot pie or cottage pie - baked sealed with veggies and gravy.

Boil it, mash it, stick it in a stew — oops, wrong LotR food reference.

Braised rabbit with mustard

Braised rabbit with prosciutto

And here’s a nice clip about how to cut it up.

I’d second the recommendation for making some hasenpfeffer. It’s a good recipe and you might as well stick with tradition. Although there are limits - I’d omit the blood.

Well, somebody’s gotta ask it:

Is your refrigerator perchance a Westinghouse?

Not even LotR, but it got me earworming Funiculì, Funiculà. :smiley:

Hossenfeffer… Hossenfeffer? Hossenfeffer!

Ahem. It’s Hasenpfeffer.

Stop buying lettuce and it will eventually leave.