What type of place do you think this corridor could be located in?

Backing up a bit…

Not true of any school I’ve ever attended.

No internal door in any of the elementary schools, or one of the high schools I attended had windows, and in the other high school, the only ‘classrooms’ with windows in the doors were the gym (and the teacher’s office off of it), the chapel (used for some of the older students’ religion classes) and the drama classroom. All the rest of the classrooms had solid doors. (The main office, cafeteria, and library also had windows at this school (but not either of the classrooms that come off of the library), but they’re not classrooms.)

Also not true of any school I’ve ever visited - the elementary schools, again, don’t have any internal windows, and the high schools, it’s only the office, library, gym, and caf.

And the university I attended with distinctly lacking in windows in the classrooms (and offices), period.

I’m sure there are some areas where windows are a common feature of classroom doors, and it may be more common in schools built, or extensively remodeled, in the last 10 years, but it’s certainly not a universal thing.

Definitely no free swinging doors there. The one at the end of the corridor has a safety handle (the “push to open” thing) meaning that in case of fire/ panic one just leans on it and it opens . On the other side it might have a regular handle. It’s a safety regulation thing for public buildings.

The small blue discs are ‘fire door’ signs, I think (like http://www.safefiredirect.co.uk/fire-safety-signs/fire-safety-door-signs.aspx), which seems very ‘public building’. And with the awful little pictures on the left wall that look like they’ve been brought in by Doris who works on reception , I’m going with school or college offices. Although… Wouldn’t they have the occupant’s name on the door?

I agree it looks British - the fire door symbols on the side and back doors look very familiar to me.

Looks just like any generic UK office building to me. Could be the administrative office of a light manufacturing or distribution company. The small lockable doors on the right could be stationery cupboards, a boiler and meter room, etc.

I don’t see anything in the picture remarkable enough to identify it as anything specific. I guess the red doors might support the notion of it being the office part of a fire station (the twee framed pictures are anomalous to this case though, as even if they were framed art from visiting schoolchildren, I would expect them to feature red trucks)

There are at least 2, possibly 6 free swinging doors. Of the three doors we can see the side that would have it, only the exit has a closer. In rough seas unless securely closed, the other doors would be dangerous.

Another Brit with the opinion that it has the air of familiarity to it.

I’d lean away from hotel and more towards commercial though, based on nothing more than my personal experience of hotels tending to have patterned rather than plain carpet.

Can’t be - no Far Side cartoons taped on the doors.

In fact, no personalization at all, which rules out anything academic, and most other offices.

In most of the UK offices I’ve worked in, there might be personalization in the offices themselves, but rarely - if ever - in the corridors.

And numbers on the doors.

The more I look at it, the more I’m thinking ‘generic commercial offices’, probably in a large building. It looks like the sort of corridor you get tucked around by the lifts, where these doors would just lead to cupboards or server rooms, rather than offices people actually inhabit. The fire escape door at the end suggests this too. The sort of place you walk though on the way to the toilets.

What might that white piping or tubing be? Could that tell us anything?

Do you mean the water pipes on the wall by the radiator?

I have a question about the radiator:
It seems pretty small to be able to heat that whole hallway.And it definitely is not American.

So----for all you Brits who say the place looks sort of familiar, do you think it looks typical of a British radiator in a corridor of that size? Or are we maybe looking at a building in a warmer climate, where a small radiator would be enough? On the other hand, there appears to be no air conditioning, there, so that would be consistant with the British climate.
How many HVAC engineers we have here at the Dope?

oh–and I have another observation/question:
the green “Exit” sign does not appear to say either “exit” or “way out” , as is typical in England.
In fact…it does not appear to have any words printed on it.
This is probably significant, but damn if I know what it means. :slight_smile:
But this is a fine little mystery!

And what’s the prize at the end of this contest? :slight_smile:

ooh—yet another mysterious clue!

I assume that the white pipes are the water supply to the radiator.
So now we have a question for the construction experts: why are the water pipes outside the wall?
In modern American construction, the walls would be hollow, made of gypsum boards (“drywall”), with all pipes and wires hidden inside the wall.
In older English and European buildings, interior walls were solid masonry, so the pipes were placed externally.Is this still being done ?
Amd more! In the ceiling, (in the middle of the 3rd light fixture) there is a sensor–either a camera/burglar alarm or a fire alarm.There is something similar above the fourth red door, too. Why two sensors, so close together?
What nefarious goings-on are taking place behind that door, so that it gets its own, private sensor?

This is a case of massive ignorance which must be fought !
We need answers now,before it’s too late!!!]
Help!!!
AAAAAAAAAaaaaaarrrrrggghhhhh…

There IS a lit green exit sign at the top of the archway leading to the exit, and above the exit itself, which would be fire safety signs. This looks like an emergency exit, not for everyday use.

No, it is normally done how you describe, however, in older buildings built before central heating this is something that lazy builders sometimes do. Perhaps this radiator was put in this position after the building was finished - perhaps it was an oversight in the original build, the occupants complained about a cold corridor, so a heating engineer was drafted in the put in a radiator and someone decided they didn’t want the expense or disruption of chasing the pipes into the wall. Perhaps that’s why it’s a small radiator - it’s just a narrow, confined corridor that doesn’t take much to heat it, and maybe in the original build they didn’t feel they needed one.

The ceiling sensor looks like a fire alarm. The one above the door looks like a motion sensor, which would trigger a burglar alarm.

That’s too small a radiator to heat a space of that size, however, if this corridor is in the core of a building, completely surrounded by rooms each with their own, larger radiators, it may be that the space requires minimal additional heating.

…and judging by the state of the carpet, a lot of people didn’t make it all the way.

Do we have any photoshop wizards here? I’m wondering what we would see if we took that larger framed item on the left and subtracted the reflection (this should be technically possible, as the reflected objects are in view)

But the bigger question is… why has such a quotidian corridor created so much curiosity?

You assume correctly.

It seems to me that nobody has checked out the blog that this picture is part of. If you had you would have seen this:

The link goes to a Facebook page, but it seems Facebook have problems today, so I haven’t been able to check it out. However, this is the only mentioning of any pictures on that page.

Because it’s so quotidian, obviously!
Yet, despite it being so mundane, it remains elusive. This makes the chase even more curious…something that should be solvable remains beyond the abilities of the great Dope.

For verily, it may be-said unto us - that the race is not to the swift, nor the battle to the strong, neither bread to the wise, nor yet riches to men of understanding----
but we want to know the answer, dammit! :slight_smile: