What was the first thing you purchased on Amazon?

Dec 1997 - I bought copies of “Top Secret Recipes” and “More Top Secret Recipes”, according to my order history.

I’m pretty sure there’s stuff missing from that list though, because distinctly recall earlier in the year buying some kind of music compilation CD for my girlfriend at the time, because Amazon was the only place I could find a copy of a song she liked.

Textbooks in 2005, for all my sophomore year classes: discrete math, cell biology, ancient Chinese history, and politics of the Middle East and North Africa.

This when I discovered that Amazon had new textbooks for cheaper than the shittiest used copies at the school bookstore, and third party used sellers with even lower prices…

I probably bought a few things before that, but I would have been using my parents’ account.

Same for me and I am not sure why. I have ordered from Amazon since they were just an oddly ambitious little internet corner bookstore in the mid-90’s but my history stops at 2010 as well. My answer is some sort of book but I don’t remember which one was the first.

Proxabrush refills in January of 2010. I could never find them in the stores. I’m still using up the massive supply I bought. The second thing was the DVD of Equus with Richard Burton.

Four saw chains for my husky.

Well, in our defense, we are the Anything Store. :smiley:

My drop down goes back to 97 but the earliest order it will show me is in 2001.

They Call Me Trinity and the sequel ‘Trinity is Still My Name’

I was a fan of spaghetti westerns and cheesy dubbed martial arts movies at the time.

And the video game Half Life: Blue Shift.

In November, 1995 I purchased a copy of Calvin Trillin’s “Alice, let’s eat.”

You have to request Amazon to generate a report (it’s under My Account in the account/orders section). It’s an automated thing; you’re not bothering anyone to do it. It always errors out for me though. I’m guess the invoice errors from 1997-1998 means it can’t find the pricing to build the report.

I ordered a couple of books from them on January 2, 1999. Since the drop-downs don’t go back any earlier for me, I’m assuming that was my first Amazon order.

ETA: Damn, that was a long time ago. I wasn’t even a Doper yet.

A book of poems, called Towns Facing Railroads. Jo McDougall.

I could only access back to 2005, and I know I purchased books prior to that. However, I’ll go with what it shows and say my first purchase was in Jan. 2005 and it was a paid of garnet dangle earrings I bought as a birthday present for a friend.

The person who made the first Amazon purchase says “It’s still in my order history listing”:

Legend has it they named a building on the Amazon campus after him.

I think he wins.

February 1999, a CD by the Blind Boys of Alabama, “Holding On.” I bought several CDs in 1999 from Amazon.

I’m trying to run the orders report mentioned above, and it’s still in process.
ETA: The report failed. I’ll try it again later from home.

You can set custom dates for the reports - try running them for shorter increments and then, if you care about having everything in one spreadsheet, manually cutting and pasting them together afterwards.

For a moment there I thought you said chain saws. :eek:

Was Half Life: Blue Shift any good?

The Avengers Emma Peel Mega Set of DVDs. (August 2001)

Huh, well look at that, I just passed my 10th anniversary with Amazon (no free gift :mad::p)

The soundtrack to Brazil on 9/18/98 because it had a Kate Bush song on it.