What was the last beverage you tried on a whim? How'd it turn out?

I had a cosmo (I think) at my friend’s wedding rehearsal banquet. My friend ordered one, so I figured “why not?” and had one too. I liked it til I got to the bottom, when I had to stop - it was far too alchoholic for me.

(Note: I have a very low tolerance for alchohol. So the cosmo may not have the same effect on you.)

Last year on my birthday someone gave me a glass of bourbon.
I’ve always been nothing but a beer man, and I never liked any of the whiskey I’d had before (like Jack Danials) and I also have this policy about not having liquor on my breath in public, but it was my birthday and I didn’t want to be rude so I drank it. To my surprise I really liked it. Now I have burbon at home often.
About 20 years ago I was in a bar in the Wisconsin Dells that had a drink called “The cement shoe”. They would only sell you 2 of them per evening. Strong as hell. I don’t know what exactly it was. It might have been Everclear with some duck piss added in. Anyone else ever had one of these?

Orange soda and So-Co. DAMN good.

Last before that was about a year ago, Jones’ Soda. FUCKING AWESOME soda.

–Tim

The best experiment was when I was introduced to properly aged (18 years) Single Malt Highland Scotch. Truly the Water of Life. For those who think Jack Daniels, Southern Comfort, or Jim Beam are whisky, I suggest you try the real stuff. Save the others for removing paint from old cars…

Most recently I finally tried a tequila sunrise. Kinda liked it. I’ve had a few since and i still like it.

A friend and I tried to make screwdrivers one night, but he was out of orange juice and all he had was wild cherry Kool-Aid. Turned out rather tasty.

The last drink I tried on a whim was whisky and lemonade. It wasn’t for me. I like whisky and I like lemonade, but I will keep the two separate in future. If you intend to drink your whisky neat, then heed the words of the Kilt Wearin’ Man and go for good single malt.

When I worked in a student bar, I tried mixing Galliano and Dr Pepper. It’s very pleasant, and the Galliano smooths the Dr P out nicely.

I tried Calimucho (50/50 chilled red wine and Coke) not on a whim but on the invitation of a friend from Madrid. I honestly thought I was going to hate it, but it turned out to be extremely good. It’s a great way to use slightly rough red wine. You’re all going “eeeeeew”, aren’t you?

Maybe I misunderstood the question to be about “beverages”. My monitor may be faulty, it must have read “Adult Beverages”.

Last time I tried it, “Clearly Candian” was not an adult beverage. Nor “buttermilk”. Nor “the blue vegetable-washing soap you use in those shaker-things”. And the second parameter of the OP was “on a whim”. Out-of the ordinary. Without a sceond thought. Just for fun or to try something new. Reading some of these posts gives me an idea of when to be whimsical and when clear-thinking is a necessity.

I do not normally drink Moonshine. I will never again. I have tried buttermilk. I will drink Moonshine BEFORE I ever drink buttermilk again.

Blah!

Garrrr!
Let me just say that I backspaced too far and took out too many words.

Please insert the following after “shaker-things”: ; not that I would ever drink “the blue vegetable-washing soap you use in those shaker-things”.

the student commissary on the campus of St. Petersburg State University. Much is sold there; foods of various kinds, ice cream treats and other tasty comestibles, and the now-ubiquitous Coke, Pepsi, and Sprite.

And, in a green can painted with matrioshki, a product called Rassol’. This drink, my friends, is nothing more than carbonated pickling brine. Literally. I opened the can and it stunk up the classroom like holy hell. I took two sips and immediately went to the toilet to dump the rest. So now I was stinking up the bathroom as well. Ah, life is so interesting sometimes…

I’m not sure where I heard of this drink either, but it was a punishment shot called “Dragon’s Blood”. Actually pretty tasty, as I remember it.

Some kind of weird Japanese soft drink with a ball in the neck to seal it. You punch the ball thing out with the bottle cap, and drink it. But you have to make sure the indentations are pointing down, or else the ball will clog the bottle opening. I can’t explain it any better than that. It was good, fizzy and lemony and sweet, but it just seemed like far too much technology to use for just a soda. Leave it the Japanese to make a sode more sophisticated than a VCR.

And I also picked up a bottle of bright-green genmai cha (green tea with roased brown rice). It was good, but in a bad way. Every time I took a sip, it surprised me, and I had to convince myself that it was good. I only half-succeeded.

At a Magic tournament a few weeks ago, there was a guy quite obviously buzzing on something. I asked what he was drinking. He held up a bottle, and said, “Battery Acid.” He tells me the ingredients are most of a two-liter of Mountain Dew, filled in with a whole package of Pixi-Stix. Dear God. The man was vibrating, I tell you.
Yes, I tried it. No, I won’t ever do it again. And I like Mountain Dew.

That is the most FRIGHTENING one I have read so far.

So where can I get Pixi-Stix?
And do they still make the ones that are about 2 feet long?

JSexton: I’ve had that. I never called it Battery Acid, though, and I never cared what soda I made it with. It was just “Ok, I must stay awake for at least another hour, so what can I do?.. SUUUUUUGAAAAR!”

screech-owl: Yeah, they still make 2-foot Pixie Stix (I’ve one in my room right now). I can get bags full-o-stix at the convenience store for fifty cents a pop (about ten to fifteen stix per bag).
Oh, yeah, Clearly Canadian the brand name isn’t an adult beverage. The Strawberry-Melon kind tastes like a wine cooler, but the Clearly Canadian carbonated water beverages are nonalcoholic. My sister makes a mixed drink called a Clearly Canadian, though. I’m not sure what’s in it.