What was the last iconic commercial?

I was looking at a list of famous Super Bowl commercials and it’s list of notable commercials is… puzzling to say the least…

(Look at the expandable list at the bottom)

Only one commercial from the entire 2000’s is notable but the 2010’s already has NINE “notable” commercials? Despite the fact none of them really had much buzz beyond the Super Bowl? The last commercial I’d say was notable on that list is the one from the 2000’s, the Old Spice ad since I remember people talking about it was recently as last year.

So in your mind, what was the last “iconic” commercial? For my definition of iconic, I’d say any advertisement that hit the pop culture and people referenced beyond the short time nowadays almost anything gets buzz for. For example, has anyone else talked about that “The 80’s Called” Radio Shack ad except for all those listicles that popped out about it to explain all the references the next day? But you still see people occasionally bust out a “I’m on a horse” randomly on a podcast. Also commercials people bring up to mock don’t really count either since they’re iconic for the wrong reason, like the Cop Pepsi ad.

For my money, the last ad I remember taking the world by storm was those FreeCreditReport.com commercials from 2009, the ones with the band singing out their bad credit. Those were so popular they had a total of 9 of them, followed by a spin-off, then a revival. I remember TV shows would bring it up at the time as a joke.

“Bud”“weise”“er”?

“Watsaaaaap”?

“Who are the Chefs?”

Where’s the beef?

I know it’s nowhere near the last one, but it’s the first one I distinctly remember.

“It’s Jake. From State Farm.”

Verizon’s “Can You Here Me Now?” Guy.

The Geico “Gecko”; Flo from Progressive.

J.G. Wentworth “877-CASH-NOW” singing commercials.

I’m also fond of this Progressive commercial:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sXYA89Axqoc

It wasn’t a single commercial, but the “Dude, you’re gettin’ a Dell” campaign made a media sensation of actor Ben Curtis, until he was arrested trying to buy marijuana.

The Mayhem commercials maybe?

From 1998 the Guiness Surfer commercial.
“And the fat drummer hit the beat with all his heart…”

Even older, the Levi’s laundry advert.
With the incomparable Marvin Gaye.

The Most Interesting Man in the World.

I CAN’T READ!

The afore-mentioned wazuuuup? series is a possibility. Also the “priceless” series.

See, those are well done ads, maybe even great commercials, but by no means “iconic”.

I love the Delta faucet commercial with The Count singing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G_RuXU_1vg8

“I’ve fallen, and I can’t get up!”

Yep, when I saw the phrase “iconic commercial,” that is exactly the first one I thought of. Of course, I grew up in the 80s, so there’s that. :slight_smile:

Now that I have been cable-free and commercial free for almost 10 years, I haven’t seen any ads for years. Except for watching a few Super Bowl ads on Youtube and so forth.

Anyway, I would say for me, it was this ad from McDonalds:

Give me back that Filet O’Fish

My wife and I still sing it anytime we see one of those talking fish or anyone mentions the Filet O’Fish(a sandwich I hate, by the way).

:rolleyes:

There’s always one, in every television- or commercial-related thread.

Agreed. I don’t recognize them from the description, so they’re not iconic.

IMHO, “iconic” means that if you refer to them or parody them, “everyone” will get the reference.

And, Progressive’s Flo and the Geico Gecko are iconic characters, but that’s not the same as the commercials they’re in being iconic. Is there anything they’re known for doing or saying, the way there is for, say, Mr. Whipple or the Energizer Bunny?

" Who are the Chefs? " is probably my favorite from the past 30 years or so.

Didn’t mean it in a pretensious way. I still watch tons of TV, probably more than when it had ads. I just meant that I don’t see commercials anymore and am unfamiliar with them.

I’m not this guy.