What was the last movie you saw that made you say "WTF?"

a movie called “moose the movie”

https://www.tundracomics.com/moose-the-movie.html

The last movie I saw that seriously messed with my mind was Dr Caligari. It’s filmed (with sound and color) in German Expressionist style. I feel it’s best described as psychotronic. After watching it the first time, I didn’t know whether to be disgusted, horrified (it’s not a horror film) or privileged to have seen it. After some soul searching, I settled on the last one.

Not safe for work or kids. Not to be taken internally. Contents of your mind may shift during viewing.

Obligatory mention of Kevin Smith’s… unique film Tusk. You will not like it but you will remember it.

Haha! What a story!

Uncut Gems with Adam Sandler on Netflix is a recent one for me. Just one long WTF is going on that lasts pretty much the entire film. Not so much the subject matter or story, but the constant bombardment of the senses. It just does not let up.

I’m going to admit that I like that one. And by that I just mean the needle on the “dirtball opinion gauge” is hovering somewhere above the threshold between the “neutral” and “favorable” ranges. About halfway through, I found that I could approach it as something reasonably interesting if I thought of it as a story of a very horrible, twisted attempt at redemption with the old man, not Justin Long, as the main character.

Yes, I know what it sounds like, and don’t look at me like that.

Ahhhh, then you’ll love Forbidden Zone.

After the new Dune came out, I finally watched the David Lynch Dune.

First 3/4 of it were sort of normalish 80s sci-fi and a not-terrible adaptation. And then it went completely off the rails. How did that get made?!

The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug. Not because it was incomprehensible or weird, but because it was a sprawling, ridiculous film, which took massive liberties with the original source novel. It had action sequences (none of which actually occurred in the novel) that felt like they were straight out of a video game.

I watched it in the theater, on opening weekend, with my wife. As the credits rolled, I turned to her, and did, in fact, say, “what the actual f*ck?”

I still haven’t watched the third movie in that trilogy, and have no desire to do so.

The Gunslinger
I would say the writer and director and producer only read the Cliff Notes version of the book but it wasn’t even that close. Matthew McConaughey was a great Man in Black but it was so bad that when Roland says Fuck the Black Tower, I’m all about revenge now and Jake whines You’ve forgotten the face of your father I’m all, “Nope.” and walked out.

Enemy starring Jake Gyllenhaal. It was going okay until the incomprehensible ending.

Hold the Dark (2018).

It seems like it should be making sense, but it doesn’t. It reminded me of Donnie Darko in that the viewer really needed to know things (from the book on which it was based) that the film didn’t make clear. After the credits started, my wife and I literally turned to each other and simultaneously said, “WTF?”

Mads Brügger makes some fascinating films. Documentary is not really the right word for what he’s doing, as you allude to.

Lucy, the movie with the myth about how you only use 10% of your brain, starring Scarlett Johanssen. Laughable crap.

This movie is why I can no longer consider Scarlett Johansson as a serious actor. She has eye appeal and should have known better and can do better work. Maybe once she ages out of the Hollywood sex appeal age and takes more serious work she will return. But comic book movies just put her further down the road. She has been acting for most of her life from a young age but this movie is soo stupid that she must have been behind on her taxes or something to even take the role.

And the premise of the movie: super powerful drugs will lead you beyond space, beyond time, is a truely bad one. But the movie did convince me that Scarlett Johansson is not using even 10% of her brain.

Transformers: Dark of the Moon
Was just amazed by how a director given given a popular franchise and a huge budget could turn out such rubbish. Loud, nonsensical, insulting trash.
Haven’t seen it but I hear the latest Jurassic Park is in the same category.

Men is a perfectly adequate movie that does not blow anyone’s mind. The last 20 minutes, however, are some of the most WTF moments in movies the past 15 years. Go see it.

So, he’s more of a “faction”-esque documentarian? (fact/fiction)

The second half of the movie was about a project “exposed” while doing research, calling itself a marine research facility as a cover story, whose job it was to deliberately infect black Africans with HIV. The facility was big enough to be visible on Google Maps, or even Landsat, if it really existed, and if it was true, one would think we’d hear more about it in the media, wouldn’t we?

This is what i came to mention, WTF does not even begin to cover it.

Don’t usually spend money on WTF movies, but once in 2010 I was traveling to a meeting with some others and a couple of us one evening decided to see a movie, and picked Inception since it had pretty good reviews. All three of us left the theater literally going “WTF did we just watch?” I’m sure this shows my plebeian brain is not advanced enough to understand it, but that was my reaction and I’m sticking by it.

The American Astronaut

“A space musical western” featuring characters such as “The Boy Who Once Saw A Woman’s Breast” and the Blueberry Pirate, a renowned intergalactic fruit thief. Songs include “The Glass Vagina”.

It didn’t help that I came in about a quarter of the way through either.