What was the worst movie you ever really enjoyed?

You got to say it with the “a” after “laugh”, as in “Laugh-a while you can, monkey boy.” Said to Jonathan Banks , also known as Mike Ermentraut, Frank McPike, and Zone Trooper Nuveen Kroll.

Oh, my pick. “The Postman”.

Remo Williams: The Adventure Begins

It’s not very good but damned if I don’t enjoy it.

You neglected The Warrior and the Sorceress (1984), yet another remake best known for the female lead playing the whole film topless and a four-breasted extra.

The Creeping Terror (1964) is arguably worse than Plan 9… The one and only time (decades ago) I ever sat through the whole thing was one of the most enjoyable movie experiences of my life.

Legend of Liquid Sword (1993) is a Hong Kong film produced and directed by Wong Jing, maker of some of the most outlandish, imaginative and irritatingly goofy movies ever made. I saw this one twice. From an IMDB review: “This is a fantasy action movie set in ancient China, where a swordsman named Fragrant Chu (Aaron Kwok) seeks the legendary liquid sword to battle an evil warlock dubbed Batman (Ji-Wai Lau).”

The Fountainhead (1949) is simply terrible by any objective standard. I have enjoyed it at least half-a-dozen times.

Gummo.

Ilsa, She Wolf of the SS.

Loved the book, but I agree it was a bad film. It really needs to be remade.

Mars Attacks is at 52% on Rotten Tomatoes, and even the reviews that liked it tended to only barely like it IIRC. But I loved its silly goober self.

Hansel & Gretel : Witch Hunters

Thought it had good f/x, the fight editing was imaginative and clearly shot, kept the light story moving.
Sure the idea was stupid but they took the idea and executed it awesomely. I always applaud a move that succeeds in what it sets out to be.

Michael Cimino wanted to do this, but United Artists turned him down, claiming it would lack audience appeal and be too expensive.

Soon afterward, they gave the green light to Heaven’s Gate. **DUH! ** :smack:

The problem I always have with such threads is thinking, “Wait a minute; people think that’s an awful film?”

Mom And Dad Save The World and Little Nicky are both amusing enough that I’ll watch them if they’re on. Soapdish is an nice parody of the soap opera genre. (A John Candy film called Delirious covers some of the same territory.)

And The Fifth Element is one of my favorite films of all time. It’s a great combination of comedy and action with some really nice set design.

Journey to the Seventh Planet is a pretty bad movie, but I’ve always liked it, and not just for its big Swedish boobies. :o

Monster Zero, just to hear Nick Adams say “What have you done with our spaceship?” :dubious:

Land of the Pharaohs, especially the scene where the high priest is showing the young hero dude around the inside of the pyramid. :cool:

Well, I guess we’re dealing with two kinds of enjoyment. Right? Let’s define our terms.

There’s “so bad it’s good”, where the movie is enjoyed in, as you say, an unintentional sort of way. Then there’s “guilty pleasure”. Which is when you know something is c**p, but you still enjoy it in the “intended” way (for lack of a better term, since the Author is still sipping martinis with Generalissimo Francisco Franco in the great beyond).

It seems that the OP is mostly looking for the second kind. And for me, I guess that is the *Saw *series. I find the premise intriguing, I’m actually interested in several of the characters (not just Jigsaw himself), and something about the whole thing just resonates with me. I’ve watched those movies lots. Somehow, I seem take them seriously. But, man, they are some stupid-ass movies. I do cover my eyes during the gory parts, though, so I guess I’m still not really enjoying them in entirely the “intended” way.

Some very bad horror movies, the names of which escape me, have had a similar effect on me. Also, Battle Royale. There’s just something about watching Japanese school kids murdering the crap out of each other, you know? Although I’m not really sure if that is even a bad movie.

ISWYDT :smiley:

Watching it now, in tribute: Smokey and the Bandit is the greatest road trip movie, from a dogs POV, ever made. Good ol’ Fred gets to bark at cars, gets loved on by an in-her-prime Sally Field, eats greasy burgers, is the center of a biker fight, swims, and sits in the front seat for the entire trip. #Respect

Condorman
Krull

I’ve enjoyed the “classical” Bad Movies Plan Nine from Outer Space and Robot Monster, but the one I nominate is

Starship Troopers
Legendarily misguided “adaptation” of Heinlein’s novel (no matter what you think of Heinlein and the novel), not particularly good in its own right, but wonderful special effects.

Oh, you mean the varied rip-offs (sorry, homages) of Red Harvest?

I was smugly considering that I only like awesome movies. Some may be misunderstood or just two deep for anyone but the cognoscenti to appreciate…

And then (glances furtively around) I remembered - Ninja III: The Domination.

I have probably seen this move ten times. I own the DVD. I acknowledge that there is nothing subtle or deep about the plot, script, acting, or direction. Yet…

Depends on how you define “bad movie”, but…Hero. It’s pure propaganda for the Chinese Communist Party, but it’s one of the most beautiful films I’ve ever seen.

My favorite movie when I was 13 was Strange Brew. It has aged horrendously but it’s a guilty pleasure that I’ll never yield.

Fuck yeah

Gotta pass here, but I admire your spirit.

Barb Wire

Well spoken.