What will the Washington Football Team's new name be on 2 February 2022?

I keep imagining that since it is Groundhog Day, they’ll just go with Redskins again

Hopefully we can keep the thread free of lame overworked Twitter jokes…that horse is well and truly pulverized.

I was pretty strongly in favor of “Warriors” and with it they could have retained a lot of the iconography from their past, specifically the arrows. The feathers could have been retained too, but I think the decades of intransigence have spoiled anything that can even loosely be tied to Native American culture. I also dig the alliteration of Washington Warriors. I’m not sure what kind of a stink the NBA team would put up, but there’s never been an issue with cross-sport names before (see Rangers, Panthers, Giants, Cardinals).

I think all the governmentally inspired names should be discarded. They are lame and uncreative plus most younger fans would probably find it off-putting. Can you imagine sporting a “Senators” shirt in the weeks following some deplorable law or political scandal hitting the news? I generally feel the same about an obviously militaristic name but that’s somewhat more palatable considering all the jingoism in the NFL already. If it’s gotta be military inspired I think “Commanders” is least terrible. I kinda like Commadores too but I guess that’s too British sounding.

“Red Hogs” is awful but “Wild Hogs” could actually be kind of fun, though the jokes on the internet after a loss might be too much to bear. Wild Hogs also are a pretty serious environmental problem so maybe it’s not something to memorialize like this. It’s also the name of a truly terrible movie which doesn’t help. The person upthread who said Pigskins is kind of inspired, but again the baggage of decades of 'Skins usage for the other reason is likely a deal breaker. It’s certainly no dumber than “Nets” or “Sox”.

“Red Stars” might have worked but Chicago Women’s Soccer grabbed that up recently and it’s not really generic enough to excuse the duplication. “Red Coats” might have been cool if the British had won that little skirmish and I can’t think of another besides “Revolution” which would call back to the time of good old Georgie.

In the end, they fucked themselves by not doing this 15 years ago and going with Warriors and keeping the native America motifs. They’d have been viewed as progressive and would have still managed to keep most of the conservative old assholes on board. But they made it super toxic and it’ll end up being another shitty WNBA-level name that mean nothing.

It will remain Redskins…

I agree, none are good but that seems the least cringeworthy to me. Sentinels is, eh, okay.

It was specifically a nickname given to their offensive line in the 1980s and early 1990s. Not unlike the Browns fans who wear dog masks to games, there was a contingent of Washington fans, known as “the Hogettes,” who would attend games wearing old-lady dresses and hats, and plastic pig noses.

Wrong part of the country. Redwoods would only be appropriate for a Northern California team.

It sounds like a fictional pro football team in a movie.

I thought the same thing about the Seattle Dragons (the XFL football team). I bought some merchandise and pretend they’re from an alternate reality where that’s the NFL team in Seattle.

The Senators.

No way.

The Washington Cherrytrees.
The Washington Monuments.
The Washington Woodenteeth.
The Washington Apocryphal Stories.

“Dire Wolves”

Just not DireWolves :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

FC Washington.

The Washington Coup.

Depending on what you think of the tie in, the Washington team in the movie The Replacements (the one with Keanu Reeves and Gene Hackman) was named the Washington Sentinels. I wonder if that would be enough for the team to back away from it. Or I guess they could try to get Keanu and cross promote :wink: .

I think the Commanders is a decent enough name, but I’d suggest they go DC instead of Washington then.

Wasn’t Dwayne Johnson the quarterback of the Washington Generals in some other film? In any case, I can see using a movie tie-in here. Worked for the Seattle Kraken.

I’m pretty sure they won’t go with Sentinels just because it was in the movie some 20 years ago.

Which is too bad… it’s a fine name, and it was a surprisingly entertaining movie.

If they go with “DC” can they name the team Justice League?

The DC Batmen. With their color scheme…

The Georges? Taxers? Wombats?