What would communication look like we used all the same nouns for; nudity, Marihiunna, and the German language?

What would communication look like if we used all the same nouns for; nudity, Marihiunna, and the German language?

And how come hot dogs come in packages of 10 while the buns come in packages of what the heck are you talking about?

It would look a lot like the world we live in today, except for the sitcoms trope where one character is talking about bringing their German speaking relatives to a nudist colony, and the other thinks they are talking about bringing their marijuana speaking relatives to a marijuana colony.

I think someone’s been smoking a little too much German Language.

That’s the naked truth.

Like if English used one word for all three concepts? Not much different, we navigate many many homonyms without much issue today.

Like if all languages had the same word for nudity, and for pot, and for the German language? Well that depends on whether you’re asking what would have to be different for this to occur, or what the consequences would be if this somehow happened “organically”.

Like if all languages had the same shared word that meant all three? See previous answer.

Now next time you do German Duolingo while naked and high you might want to delay posting that brilliant thought.

What does ‘bow’ mean in English?

A gesture?
A weapon?
Part of a ship?

A stick?
A stone?

It’s the end of the road…
It’s the rest of a stump…
It’s a little alone.

(the proper version)

As an occasional German practising half-nudist who likes his pot… no, start again. Ehem. As a practising pot who likes his nudism in German’s half… no there are no two Germanys anymore. In Germany’s whole. The whole Full Monthy! Full of Dope. Straight Dope, of course.
Well anyway: There is no amount of confusion a good inhaling cannot increase. So have a nice, joyous Christmas! And a happy and prosperous new year.

I think the OP was Fückengrüvin’ while passing the deutschie on the left-hand side last night :grinning:

I was wondering what the heck “Marihiunna” was, and was thinking it might be a tropical island somewhere. But Google is apparently better at figuring out horrible misspellings than I am, and realized that it was a misspelling of the Spanish word for “marijuana”.

Wow. “Marijuana” sure looks and sounds like a plausible Spanish word to me. In fact up until today I had assumed it was a Spanish word brought into English. Nope. Google informs me that Spanish folks spell it “marihuana”.

Or “deutsch” :wink:

Thanks @Chronos for the learning.

Well, if you’re a student who wants to sign up for a German language class, you’d need to be extra careful about reading the course description before making your selection.

. . . or not, depending on your personal sensibilities.

Likewise, there’s the classic prank call about whether a refrigerator is running — by which I mean operating normally, as opposed to what liquid means when your nose runs (as opposed to when a well runs dry) — as opposed to how, when I run, I’m moving my legs faster than when I walk; though I can run a red light at any speed, or run for office while sitting still; and, like the runs in baseball (which can be scored while walking), the runs in your stockings are nothing like having the runs (though if you invented a product that’d reliably solve either of the latter problems, there’d surely be a run on the first run of units).

Smurfing some words is smurfy, but you have to be careful not to smurf the smurf when you smurf.

If I say I lost a match, am I telling you the result of set after set in tennis or what happened to the item I’d set a fire with? (Neither of which has anything to do with whether what you see on a TV set is a match for what the theater-going audience sees on the stage set…)

And honestly, most of these other examples folks are coming up with are much more commonly-used words than “naked”, “the German language”, or “marijuana”.

When you said “the proper version,” I immediately thought, well we’ll just have to see about that. But you’re correct; that IS the proper version! :slight_smile: Although I love Elis, solo, even more.

There’s some debate over which word in English has the most meanings, but let’s agree that run, set, go, take, and stand all have over 300 dictionary-defined definitions, yet we somehow muddle through.

Fall is Autumn — but I muddle through, managing to fall asleep each night instead of taking a bad fall down the stairs, even if my wedding anniversary sometimes falls on a Sunday in Autumn but sometimes doesn’t.