What would you do with 65 Altoid tins?

You could build a shrine.

Well, I don’t know about 65, but the question DOES call to mind a memory of what to do with one.

My friend Sean works at a Gymnastics school, coaching annoying little kids trying to do “Skin the Cat” maneuvers on the rings. But, every now and then the job offers inspiration.

One of the other coach is, as many people here seem to be, an Altoids addict. He would always have a tin of them sitting out on the coach’s table in the room. This was his first mistake.

His second mistake was leaving to go to the grocery store.

Immeadiately, Sean and his fellow coaches set to work. They got the bag of chalk (for the gymnast’s hands), and began moulding the white, powdery stuff into little Altoid look-alikes.

Half an hour and one switcharoo later, the guy reached into his tin, popped what he thought was an Altoid into his mouth, and instantly became the subject of ridicule for the rest of the day. That, and he had a really bad taste in his mouth.

Just thought I’d share. :smiley:

Musical instruments:

Castanets for gypsy-style belly dancing.

Leave a few altoids in there, and you’ve got maracas.

Xylophone made of the different size tins.

Altoid sculpture… submit to Altoid’s site, hope they like, and pray you win lots of cash :smiley:
Altoid Tin Ice-Skates,
Altoid Tin Light Switch,
Altoid Tin Lunch Box,
Altoid Tin Plate Mail (for those time you must fight the dragons of bad breath…)
Altoid Tin eclipse viewer, (punch a pin hole through them and sell them to people going to check out the eclipse…)

Oh, and you can store your mints in them…

I still say make a dress :slight_smile:

If I were in the possession of that many altoid tins, I’d probably use them for veeeery strange things. Perhaps consider setting aside twenty of them, and assigning each one to every single one of your fingers and toes for nail clippings. I’d do that in a moment. How many altoid tins fit in one of the Big Tins? Perhaps you could then organize your tins according to “right hand”, “Left foot”, etc. in Big Tins. There, that’s twenty four tins, enit? One thing I always wanted to do is to save dust. An altoid tin would be perfect for this; imagine it, you have a friend over, he opens a tin, and it’s full of dust! Delightful. Also, if you’re like me, you keep mutated candy. By this, I mean the old little freaky jelly beans that are shaped more like a peace sign than a bean, or other such factory mishaps. I’ve always had trouble keeping these things, but why not stick them allll in an altoid box? Hope I helped.

-H.P.E.

Find a trash can…

I gave up on tins. I was always thinking they were great for spare keys, or aspirins, etc. and then I would forget what was in them and it would be lost for years.

So now I only use clear containers.

Paint them and use them as gift boxes for things you buy friends?

Or can they be recycled?

Yesterday I arranged them on my bed with Underbear and took a few pictures. It was remarkably satisfying.

I’m going to email altoids.com and see if they do indeed have a recycling program. That would be cool.

If it were me, I’d make a sculpture. Cut the tins into weird shapes and make a sculpture of a bird or something. (For a while I was going to do that with some old computer pieces that I wasn’t using, but I decided not to for some reason.)

Inky-- Nice suggestion!!!

I would find someone with a forge, and either smelt them down and make a little dagger or letter opener, or fuse them all into one gigantic Altoids tin…

I like the armor idea, but that’s just me.

Or, barring that, get an ass-load of little soaps, handi-wipes and cheap little combs, and condoms, and then give them out to homeless folks. Just an idea.

Did anyone else think of Andy Warhol and his soup cans?

“32 empty altoid tins” by andygirl.

“Valentine’s Day come and gone” by andygirl.

“Metallic Void” by andygirl.

“Dopers in front of 65 altoid tins” by andygirl.

Now that I think of it, I’m starting to channel impressionist-sounding names for artwork.

You could put some soil in one of the deeper ones and cultivate a bonsai tree (which would, of course, inspire more art). You could make a pyramid out of them, or just keep collecting until you have a few hundred, then dump them into a box and play like they were leaves or balls.

How about using them as candle holders? Get a bunch of tea lights (130 or so). Open all the tins, so the shiny side is out. Put 1 lit candle in each side, turn off the lights, and I bet it would look pretty damn funky.