What's a good place to hide some gold coins?

This thread about hiding a key got me thinking.

I’ve been considering buying some (maybe half a dozen) gold coins as an investment. Where could I hide them at home where a burglar wouldn’t find them?

I live in an apartment so burying in the garden is out. I can think of the obvious places, but then they’d be obvious to a burglar too. I think I know a good one, but I won’t say. I’ll see if anyone else mentions it, then I’ll know it’s not secure! Access must be relatively easy too, so no pulling up floorboards.

Inside any furniture with hollow tubes–many modern “wrought iron” style headboards and bedframes are made up of metal tubes, as are cheap storage shelving available at Walmart and Target.

Depending on how often you bake, the bottom of your flour jar may be a place you could leave them securely for some time.

Do you have central air? Pull up a grate and toss them in a duct within arms reach.

Behind the filter for your air conditioner, in the tank of your toilet, in the toe of rarely worn shoes at the back of your closet, on top of the slats under your bed, frozen in a container of something in your freezer…

Or a safe deposit box at your bank.

Add a false bottom to a trash can. Gold coins are light and thin (wrap and tape them down so they don’t rattle); nobody’s going check the garbage for valuables. Just make sure you remember!

Put them in a chest. Grab a shovel. Dig a hole in the back yard. Proceed to bury your treasure. Treasure map creation optional.

A couple of years ago, I hid the key to our fire safe as we were going to be away for a month. The locksmith only charged me $80 to open it and I still haven’t figured out where I put the key. If I ever find it, I’ll let you know, cuz it’s the most secure place on the planet.

Safe deposit box at your bank.

+1. That’s what they’re for. Mine costs me something like $20 a year.

I think it would be best to hide them in a place that relatives would find them should anything happen to you. If you hide them in something which will be overlooked or thrown away, your heirs could miss them. You would want something which people won’t stumble upon, but will find if they were to clean out your apartment.

Under a piece of furniture or some old boxes in your closet would be good.

Buy one of those dark blue round boxes of Morton’s salt. Use all the salt. Cut a vertical slit in the back of it. Slip the coins through the slot. Empty your spice/seasoning shelf in your pantry/cabinet. Place the salt box in the very back. Replace everything else back where it was in front of the salt box/safe.

It’s probably in a pocket of that old brown suit that doesn’t fit you anymore. In a few more years, when you lose some weight and decide to break out that nice suit again, you’ll find it. Ask my brother.

Anyway, another vote for safe deposit box. Cheap and simple solution.

Ding! Anything else is begging for trouble.

The gold coins are bought for the “end of the world” scenario. While there is a run on your bank I think it will be hard to push through the crowds to claim your safe deposit box.

They are? When the OP spoke of “investment”, he had the apocalypse in mind, rather than, say, common burglars? Interesting.

If you buy gold as an “investment” there is no reason to take physical possession of it. Just buy a gold ETF.

:: burglars are taking notes on this thread ::

Doesn’t gold dissolve in chlorine? Isn’t salt sodium chloride? I’d check on your stash if I were you.

My grandmother hid some in the hems of curtains - sewed them in. The had the advantage of acting as curtain weights and helping the curtains hang nicely. The disadvantage was she developed dementia, completely forgot they were there, and my mother almost (but not quite) threw the coins out with the curtains when she cleaned her apartment out when we moved her to a nursing home. Luckily, she noticed something not-quite-right and was able to recover what we think was all of them…we still aren’t quite sure where else she might have hidden similar items that we didn’t find.

If you do keep them in your house, put them in a fireproof safe. I don’t think a house fire is hot enough to melt the coins, but they will be impossible to find if they are scattered among the rubble.

Salt AKA sodium chloride is not the same thing as sodium and / or chloride. You can test this theory by eating salt and noticing how it doesn’t A) poison you or B) cause you to explode into flame.

OP - why don’t you just hide your gold coins in one of those bags of chocolate coins wrapped in gold foil that little Jewish kids get on Hanukah? Just hope any burglars or bandits or mutants or whatever aren’t hungry.