what's a maroon?

Ok, so I rented MST3000 the movie this weekend and it was pretty good, I had a good laugh, but a question comes up. Years ago I remember Bugs Bunny calling someone who wasn’t the sharpest tool in the shed a maroon (sp?). I never understood that reference, but didn’t worry too much about it. Then they used it in the movie last night and now I’m curious; does anyone know the origin/meaning of this word, other than to say it’s a perjorative comment about a persons intelligence,
Larry

It’s a mispronounciation (or Brooklynization) of moron.

“Bodie, I noticed you stopped stuttering.”
“I’ve been giving myself shock treatments.”
“Up the voltage.”
-Real Genius

And this from www.onelook.com

Maroon: A runaway slave sent to the Calabouco, or place where such slaves were punished, as the Maroons of Brazil. Those of Jamaica are the offspring of runaways from the old Jamaica plantations or from Cuba, to whom, in 1738, the British Government granted a tract of land, on which they built two towns. The word is from the verb “maroon,” to set a person on an inhospitable shore and leave him there (a practice common with pirates and buccaneers). The word is a corruption of Cimarron, a word applied by Spaniards to anything unruly, whether man or beast.

“Some people are worried about the difference between right and wrong. I’m worried about the difference between wrong and fun.”
~P.J. O’Rourke~

“What’s a maroon?”, he asks!
What a ta ra ra GOON de ay! (how do you make one of those smileys that let people know your just kidding? I feel like such an ultramaroon!)

Elmer J. Fudd,
Millionaire.
I own a mansion and a yacht.

Well, that clears that up,
Larry

You left out:
im-bessile
gulla-bull
nin-cow-poop

MacDonald’s sells 'em…
But they call 'em “Macaroons”

or…it could be a redish brown color close to wine or burgandy…right in the PMS range of 188
=)

“Only when he no longer knows what he is doing, does the painter do good
things.” --Edgar Degas

SaDkOrNyGuY

I should’ve taken that left toin at Albuquoique.

this is what I get for posting a question in mpsims even if it is mundane and pointless,
thanks, Larry

Next topic: Why does succotash suffer?

In Butte, MT, the Catholic H.S. is Butte Central. Their team name is the Butte Central Maroons. (Or, baboons to their rival teams.)

Meg

It’s probably incredibly obvious, and I’m just too dense tonight to see it. Mjollnir, what does “SaDkOrNyGuy” mean?

Lyxdesics of the lowrd untie!

Kara, go to GQ, and you’ll find out soon enough.

P.S. I did make that left toin at Albuquoique, and look what happened to me!

“That’s entertainment!” —Vlad the Impaler

Separate out the capital letters and you get:

akryuy’S DONG

:slight_smile:

Wasn’t there an old pro hockey team called the Montreal Maroons?

Of course, that was probably meant in the same vein as St. Louis Browns or Cincinnati Reds.

Chaim Mattis Keller
cmkeller@compuserve.com

“Sherlock Holmes once said that once you have eliminated the
impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be
the answer. I, however, do not like to eliminate the impossible.
The impossible often has a kind of integrity to it that the merely improbable lacks.”
– Douglas Adams’s Dirk Gently, Holistic Detective

My ass smells like ass. I think that it’s Bugs Bunny’s fault.

This is HDTV, it has better resolution than the real world - Fry

Old joke from Boys’ Life:

“Did you hear about the ship full of red paint that collided with the ship full of purple paint? They were marooned.”

“If ignorance were corn flakes, you’d be General Mills.”
Cecil Adams
The Straight Dope