What's a person from Switzerland called?

I would have said “a Brit” and “a Chinese”.

And yes, I realize Britain and England aren’t the same thing, but if he’s not from England I’d call him a Scot or a Welshman, as appropriate.

God only knows what I’d do if I ever met a woman from Wales. (“Welshwoman”?) So far, it hasn’t come up.

Please, “Asian-American.”

This isn’t a guy who built the fucking railroads here! We’re talking about someone who came into your house…

I lived in Switzerland once. I walked to work through fields where the cows really did have bells. No, really, it’s true. I’m telling you, the cows there really wear bells.

But my understanding is that during the Reformation, Switzerland was a pretty violent place. I guess they figured it out, eventually. So close to the Third Reich, so far from New Zealand.

And they still guard the Pope, you know.

People in China are Asian-American?

:confused:

You’ve lost sight of the movie references.

The Dude abides. :wink:

Um, does anyone still self-identify as “Helvetii”? Do they constitute any particularly large proportion of the Swiss population?

You are aware that the “Helvetii” were a Celtic tribe around Roman times, right? That’s why “One of the Helvetii” and “A Swiss” are separate definitions.

Except the official country code for Switzerland is CH, derived from the Latin phrase for ‘Helvetican Confederation’. It was chosen to avoid offending the French-, German-, or Italian-speaking Swiss.

There is, therefore, precedent for using that term to refer to all of Switzerland and, by extension, all of Switzerland’s people.

:confused: I’m quite aware of that. I’m simply trying to figure out why UncleBeer claimed that “Helvetii” is correct and “Helvetians” incorrect, given that the former appears only to be in use to describe a particular Celtic tribe, while “Helvetian” - according to my dictionary - can refer to either one of the Helvetii or to a Swiss person.

Read through Arnold and UncleBeer’s posts - the topic of discussion was particularly whether “Helvetii” is the proper plural for “Helvetian”, which it’s not - “Helvetian” can apply to either the Helvetii or the modern Swiss, and “Helvetii” certainly isn’t the historical plural, simply judging on purely morphological grounds. Can you think of any other English word with a singular in -tian and a plural in -tii?

“Helvetian” and “Helvetii” are certainly closely related words, but they are clearly distinct words, which is what I was trying to communicate to UncleBeer.

Ah, okay.

I apologize for the bump, but the thread is only a couple of weeks old. Seeing as it made it to the second page without any actual cites for “a Swiss” as the correct term, I’d like to toss in this example I came across today in a Reuters article.