What's For Dinner Tonight: Episode 2021 – A New Hope

Baked breaded chicken, rice with teriyaki sauce, and a glass of ice water, then a glass of chilled white wine. Later, some Reese’s Christmas candies and a glass of cold milk.

I’m not sure if it freezes well or not, but I’m having such an issue with food lately. I will throw leftovers in the freezer, but can’t make myself eat them later. It’s so bizarre.

But my neighbor was more than happy to take a healthy helping.

Totally inauthentic chicken paprikash over egg noodles. I am sure any Hungarian grandma who saw this concoction would try to excommunicate me from a church that I don’t belong to. It includes bell peppers, onions, garlic, mushrooms, and a blob of tomato paste. But it’s delicious, and we have the ingredients in the house and the sour cream needs to be used up, so I don’t care what anyone thinks.

Absolutely! That was my grandmother’s default, anyway. She was incapable of not freezing leftovers if she didn’t think they would get eaten in a day or two. She used to bring us things like frozen cabbage rolls in a cooler when she visited. We lived in the Chicago are and my grandparents lived in New Jersey. And they drove to visit us!

We had teriyaki chicken tacos tonight with a nice cool lettuce wrap instead of a tortilla.

Inch-thick, boneless Shake & Bake pork chops, mashed potatoes & gravy, and a prosciutto-and-provolone roll-up, plus some Spanish red that The Missus picked up. Comfort food… and easy.

Baked sablefish; roasted rutabaga, sweet potato and parsnip; and a salad. Sliced strawberries for dessert.

Guinness beef stew, garlic naan, hothouse strawberries.

Leftover sausage and bean soup served with air fryer French fries.

I played with my French fry technique. After cutting my potatoes, I soaked, rinsed, dried them then refrigerated them for an hour. Then I lightly dusted them with corn starch, sprayed lightly with oil, and cooked them at 380 for nine minutes.

Second refrigeration for 30 minutes, then returned to the air fryer for 10 minutes.

A ton of extra work compared to what I usually do, and just a tiny bit better.

TV dinner, Triscuits with seasoned butter, and a bowl of Frankenberry cereal for dessert, because I eat like a toddler sometimes.

But hey! I remembered the multivitamin!

Tack on a pudding cup, because - again - toddler.

Homemade pepperoni pizza, and a pomelo. I’d never had a pomelo before and I plan on having another soon.

I made tuna ceviche using pineapple juice in my marinade, then served the ceviche as part of a poke bowl using chunks of pineapple. Will make again!

Dinner tonight will be a repeat of a previous roast beef dinner: prime rib roast with hunter sauce, Yorkshire pudding, mashed potatoes, and either garlic broccolini again if I can find it or some other veggie.

This time, I’m getting a prime rib twice as big as before with the intention of having about half of it left over. I often fret about what to do with leftover roast beef, but this time I have a plan. Two words: Beef Stroganoff!

Last night I made salmon with lemon pepper, lemon slices, and a honey-dijon glaze. With steamed broccoli and Rice-a-roni. It will probably be my lunch, or the sheet pan chicken and veggies I made the night before - in ramen.

I had a Trader Joes’s Quiche Lorraine split between breakfast and dinner and then slice of cake for dessert.

It was tasty.

Hamburger, potato and cheddar casserole with a piece of garlic toast, and a glass of water. Later, some Georgia peanut brittle and a glass of cold milk.

So I got the butcher to cut a two-bone prime rib in pursuit of the above plan. The beef at the butcher counter is a higher grade than the normal prepackaged stuff, but Jesus H. Christ on a pogo stick! $118 and change for a roast!!! Well, there will be lots of leftovers, anyway. If it all goes to Beef Stroganoff there will be enough to feed the Russian army.

I saw a freakin’ pot roast in the store for almost $20. I bought pork chops!

The burrito thread was making me crave burritos, so while I was at Trader Joe’s I picked up the fixings to make them, except I went to to good butcher shop in the same shopping center to pick up some of their pre-marinated carne asada.

So I got home, fired up the grill and cooked the carne asada, and then made a burrito filled with the carne asada, Trader Joe’s refried black beans, some grilled onion and bell pepper, a sprinkle of cotija cheese, salsa, and guacamole.