What's going on with the hamburger menu? {May 25, 2023}

Once you open the menu, there is a large plus sign in the lower right corner. Click It.

+

This brings up the Add Custom Section window.
Give the section a Title
Choose an Icon for your first link
Give the link a Name
Enter a Link
To add more, click + Add another Link**
When Done click
Save

This lets you add shortcuts to Forums, Tags or pretty much anything with an address.

I set up links to Wordle and other sites I compulsively check every day.

That’s cool.

Just curious if they are going to fix this? Thanks.

The logical thing would have been to leave the defaults as they were, rather than removing everything. That forces every single user to go on a voyage of discovery to try to fix a basic navigation function.

I don’t mind that they made it editable. I don’t see the benefit, but upthread people seem happy. So cool, some people are happy. I remain unimpressed.

I am really unhappy that I made the necessary changes on my phone and they did not automatically appear on my laptop.

It’s not “broken”. The people who run Discourse did this on purpose, and presumably view it as an upgrade.

It is nice that the menu can be edited. The new defaults seem less useful, but Ed has mostly fixed that for this board.

Thank you. Can it be edited so one click on the hamburger shows all the categories like before?

Yes, but you have to manually add all the links yourself.

Thank you. I’m not very computer savvy. I’d be afraid I’d mess something up.

What_Exit explained how to do it up in post 61.
Where it says “Enter a link” it’s probably easiest to open up SDMB in another tab,
go to the category you want and copy the address from the browser’s address bar
then go back to the tab where you’re customising your menu and paste it.
hth.

I just added it to the Registration Agreement, Rules, and FAQ thread.

I agree. But, by not leaving the defaults, it forces people to get used to the new ‘options/customizations’.

Of course the old style used to show you your six most recently used categories. Or eight, maybe. In any case, it was dynamic. Replacing it with a user-created static menu seems to be a downgrade.

Only it wasn’t your most commonly used categories, it was the system’s. So some categories i rarely use were always higher than ones i do use. I’m kinda happy to have it reflect my use and not everyone else’s.

(I discussed this with codinghorror a couple of years ago, and suggested menu change to dynamically link to each user’s most commonly used categories. He replied that sounded like a good idea, but i don’t think they ever implemented it, i think they jumped to this.)

That’s weird. My most commonly used category is the Game Room, and it was consistently in the list every time I clicked it. I’m surprised to hear it was that popular board-wide. Probably because of Wordle.

I think it’s only second to FQ. I believe Cafe Society is high up there as well.

It was on my list, too, and i almost never go there.

If you click the All Categories, it shows the approximate number of new threads per week. That might not reflect actual activity, though - some categories like GD or the Pit have few new threads but lots of posts per thread.

Category new threads / week
Factual Questions 39
Cafe Society 28
In My Humble Opinion 23
Miscellaneous and Personal Stuff I Must Share 22
The Game Room 5
About This Message Board 4
Politics & Elections 4
The BBQ Pit 2
Thread Games 2
Great Debates 1

ROFL, that’s an understatement. :laughing:

Now then …
Would it be possible to have the customized categories as a home page ?

Put the appropriate shortcut(s) in your browser favorites. This isn’t hard.