What's gonna be the biggest stinker of the Summer movies?

Yet another vote for Battlefield Earth.

Buzz from people I know in the computer animation biz is that X-Men will be plenty stinky too, but with really good computer graphic (including a well done toad-man and nifty Wolverine claws) but crummy everywhere else.

That new Flintstones movie looks pretty fucking horrible.

From SwimmingRiddles:

Well, I don’t follow the X-Men comics, but Mckellen does seem a bit old to be Magneto. Look on the bright side though, at least his agent has got him a spot as Gandalf in the upcoming Lord of the Rings trilogy.

Battlefield Earth looks like a bomb alright…

Ordinarily you can count on at least one good Shakespeare movie per year. But this year it’s Love’s Labour’s Lost, and it stars Alicia Silverstone! Blech! I expect Blink-182 to be on the soundtrack… (Titus was okay if a but psychedelic, but again, that was technically a 1999 release…)

I follow the movie biz pretty closely, and I gotta say that right now Battlefield Earth is leading the charge for bad films this year.

However, that’s just the highest-profile turkey on the way. I wouldn’t count out some other contenders:

The Cell – Jennifer Lopez stars in this cross between Desperate Measures and Fantastic Voyage. Supposed to be a true dog.

Big Momma’s House – Martin Lawrence in a cross between Stakeout and Mrs. Doubtfire. You couldn’t drag me to this one.

Shaft – Truly mediocre buzz on this, starring Samuel L. Jackson and directed by John (Poetic Justice) Singleton.

Heavy Metal 2000 – The first one was no great shakes, but it has a certain cult status. The new one is supposed to be a mess.

Texas Rangers – James Van Der Beek and Dylan McDermott in a revisionist Western. Horrible buzz.

The Emperor’s New Groove – Disney’s annual animated family film. Inside word is that this doesn’t just scrape the bottom of the barrel, it knocks it out with extreme prejudice.

And don’t forget the obligatory sequels, such as the leading contenders for Unnecessary Followup of 2000: Urban Legend: The Final Cut and Hellraiser V.

As far as the previously mentioned movies:

X-Men – Has decent buzz. Not great, but it won’t be a total stinker, either. The comic-book purists will love it or hate it, and everybody else will go, “ehhh, 'sawright.”

Rocky and Bullwinkle – Actually has very good buzz. The script was very highly regarded, and the director is a stage vet, making his film debut. (He directed Broadway’s Tommy.) Test screenings have been quite positively received.

American Pimp – A film by the Hughes Brothers, who made Menace II Society and Dead Presidents. Got fairly good word when it played Sundance.

Mission Impossible 2 – Good buzz on this. There was a test screening this week; the audience liked it.

Titan A.E. – Sort of an unknown quantity. Hasn’t been tested a lot; studios don’t trust audiences to react well to pencil tests instead of full animation. Don’t count it out, though.

Me Myself and Irene – Probably as close as anything else this year to a Sure Thing. Fantastic buzz. (For the record, I didn’t like Something About Mary, but I’m still interested in this.)

Dinosaur – Moderate buzz. The kids will love it; whether or not you enjoy it depends on your tolerance for kid-friendly plotting combined with spectacular eye candy.

Blair Witch 2 – Is currently in production, and will be done in time for Halloween. Lest you shrink in horror from yet another stupid sequel (I sure did), consider that it’s being directed by Joe Berlinger, one of the co-directors of the chilling Paradise Lost documentaries. Quite a pedigree, and it gives me hope.

Still, for me, the leading candidate, in terms of all-around suckiness, combining factors of (1) artistic intent, (2) budget, (3) marketing profile, and (4) studio hopes, has to come back to Battlefield Earth. (BTW, it wasn’t paid for by the Scientologists. Travolta found a deep-pocket investor to underwrite Warner Bros’ checkwriting. Just to set the record straight.)

Now, it has to be said, some great stuff is planned for this year. I’m looking forward to Chicken Run, Gladiator, The Patriot, Steven Soderbergh’s Traffic, Shanghai Noon, The Perfect Storm, Bounce, But I’m a Cheerleader, Nurse Betty, Monkeybone, Unbreakable, Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon, and others.

And I’ve got hopes for What Lies Beneath, The Hollow Man, Castaway, The Legend of Bagger Vance, Red Planet, and others.

[shameless plug] For more buzz on upcoming movies, check out my site – address in sig. [/shameless plug] :smiley:

Ah, I beg to differ: Battlefield Earth is funded by
(1)Travolta himself, who has been shopping this project for years;
(2)Author Services Inc., LRH’s literary-agent-after-death and one of Scientology’s most profitable front companies;
(3)Intertainment AG, a young media-finance company newly listed on the German stock exchanges despite being at present affirmatively declared - by the ever-vigilant German government - to be a Scieno front.

Warner Bros. has merely a distribution deal.

it looks like “dinosaur” and “x-men” will be the big flops of the summer. sure, the opening weekend box office figures will be high and immediately take a nose dive as soon as people get home from the theatre, pissed off and frustrated, and begin mass mailing their friends.

seeing the first “dinosaur” trailer, i got the impression that it was going to be like a “national geographic” type show, maybe with some narration here and there. unfortunately, having watched the second trailer, i immediately cringed at the sight and sound of a bunch of dinosaurs talking at a 5-year-old level. honestly, just for that very reason alone the movie should be shelved.

“x-men” looks like a supposed more realisitic version of the comic book series. sure, id feel compelled to make it more realisitic considering that most people would not feel comfortable wearing tights and running around saying corny one-liners. of course, considering the cast of the movie, looks like captain picard is gonna lose yet another enterprise… oh wait, wrong movie!

maybe its a new standard in hollywood to put in crappy, ultra-budgeted movies in the market to balance the needs of the idiotic and the quasi-aware such as myself.

I dunno, folks. In all this talk of “Bad movies in 2000” you all seem to be missing the elephant in the living room.

I doubt any other movie this year can be worse than Mission to Mars was.

I’ve seen the trailers for Titan: AE.

I got shivers. There’s a small ton of potential there if the movie even halfway lives up to the trailer. Sure isn’t a kid’s movie, though.

I wouldn’t see the new Flinstons movie on a dare.

X Men will probably suck, unfortunatly.

I’m afraid Battlefield Earth will be too pretensious to have good cheese appeal.

But to the Mission Impossible 2 detractors all I can say is: It’s being directed by John Woo. If nothing else, it will be nice and cheesy.