What's happened to all the good cereals?

I like cereal. I eat it. A lot.

For breakfast, for lunch, for dinner, for a snack. It doesn’t matter, any time is a good time for cereal I say.

It’s cheap, relatively. $4 a box may seem a bit much, but I figure if I can get 4 or more meals out of it, which I usually can, it’s worth it.

Lately though, all the good ones seem to have gone down in quality, and all the new ones just seem to suck.

Three of my all time favorites, Cocoa Puffs, Frosted Flakes, and Cinnamon Toast Crunch are hardly recognizable anymore as the tasty treats they once were and the new ones like Tony the Tiger’s new cinnamon cereal is plain awful.

Even the ones considered healthier, or at least not a “sugar” cereal, like Crispix and Raisin Bran seem to have gone downhill in quality.

Has anyone else noticed this decline in yummy cereal goodness or am I just getting too old to appreciate seven different colored marshmallows in the shape of Scooby Doo and pals mixed in with what appears to be cardboard?

Am I doomed to eat nothing but Product 19 and Rice Krispies with sugar sprinkled over them or is there hope out there?

I miss Alpha Bits…weird, I know, but it was my favorite for a long time.

Ever eat Freakies? I don’t remember worth a damn what they tasted like, but the prizes were great.

Oh, and try Frosted Flakes with Half&Half instead of milk. I promise it’ll be worth it. :wink:

Honey Bunches Of Oats does it for me.
I also like the Great Grains muesli stuff.

By the way, if there is a Walmart superstore near you, name brand cereal is about $2.00 vs $4.00 at regular supermarkets. Worth the trip to stock up.

What happened to Alpha Bits?

What’s wrong with Cinnamon Toast Crunch or Frosted Flakes?

And don’t forget Froot Loops and Captain Crunch.

They changed honey bunches of oats and I don’t like them anymore… they are like cornflakes with nuts now :frowning:

Reeses Peanut butter puff cereal is yummy though!

I also like banana nut crunch and blueberry morning.

The buggers stuck marshmallows in the oreo cereal and wrecked it (IMHO)

I do like the new berry berry cheerios though.

Cinnamon toast crunch is best without milk.

Yum cereal.

Nothing at all. I get great granola from Trader Joe’s and Whole Foods weekly.

Y’know what I miss? Bucwheats. That was a great cereal.

I stopped eating Crunchberries when they started adding weird colored berries. I don’t like to see blue, green, or purple in my breakfast bowl.

I’ve noticed this, too. I’ve never seen a problem with Frosted Flakes, though. I’ve seen it most noticeably with Froot Loops and Apple Jacks. Just not the same as they used to be.

And here’s what I really hate: I can rarely find Count Chocula, and I can never find Frakenberry or Booberry.

I’ve found that I don’t need to add sugar to Mixed Berry Cheerios, although I do get tired of eating the same thing day after day.

I use to love Lucky Charms - but the flavor and shapes has changed.

What happened to Trix - fruity corn/rice spheres of yummy goodness, now they have the shape of the fruit you are eating.

It’s apparently still available in Canada (note the French phrase avec guimauves on the box of Marshmallow Alpha Bits).

Booberry is tough to find but I can get it at Shaw’s when I’m lucky :slight_smile:

I haven’t seen alpha bits lately but I also haven’t looked.

BJ’s used to be a good place to score odd cereal.

:slight_smile:

The “better” Fruit Loops are still available in Canada, too.

I had some in the U.S. a few months back and they tasted awful. Oddly though, the Canadian boxes still have the same old flavour.

Maybe the newer recipe hasn’t quite made it up here yet. Hopefully it never will :frowning:

There are some great new cereals though. I really like Vector, and Post has something called “Maple Nut Crunch” that’s simply maahhhvelous.

I used to switch back and forth between Fruity Pebbles, Cinnamon Toast Crunch, and Cap’n Crunch. Once I stumbled onto the secret of the cereal world, Cinnamon Life, I became hooked. This stuff is incredible. If you like cinnamon cereals, this one is the best. Give it a try Soulmurk, and tell me what you think. If you don’t like it, I will refund this post.

I miss Graham Chex. Haven’t seen any anywhere for a couple three years now. Cinnamon Life just isn’t quite a substitute.

And don’t they put out Frankenberry around Halloween? Thought I read that somewhere.

I do enjoy Cinnamon Life, but not as much as I used to. That doesn’t have so much to do with the cereal itself (although they do seem to get a lot soggier a lot sooner nowadays) as my own stupidity. My frig died not too long ago and was out for about a day. The milk smelled just fine, but several spoonfuls into a bowl of it I realized it’d gone bad and I just haven’t been able to look at Cinnamon Life since. Maybe in time.

I recall Booberry always being the hardest of the three to find. There is a Walmart Superstore near me and I may have to forego my hatred of Walmart and go check it out since all the local supermarkets seem to have an extremely poor selection.

I’ll give Reeses a try and revisit Honey Bunches of Oats if I can find it.

The mention of Product 19 reminded me of those 18-pack single-serving box cereals Kelloggs makes. They were often brought along when my family went camping. For a while, they even had perforations where you could open one side with a spoon and pour milk in and eat out of the box. Anyways, the first varieties gone were like Fruit Loops and Apple Jacks, then Frosted Flakes and Rice Krispies. Most came in pairs. Yet eventually, and inevitably, the last couple was Product 19 and Special K.
</waxnostalgic>

I barely remember them from when I was a little kid. I was beginning to think that they never really existed.