What's the deal with Red Baron pizza? Why is a German who killed people the mascot of a pizza company?

His 80 victories including the deaths of over 40 Brits, 7 Canadians and 1 American! And how come we don’t have an Erich Hartmann Pizza?!

But more seriously, why did they land on the Red Baron to promote a reheatable pizza anyway?

The Germans are still mad that they lost the war so now they are trolling us by putting the greatest pilot in history on the greatest American food in history.

Also Hot Pocket Ice Cream.

Bc people weren’t taught about Red Baron in school and they don’t make the connection like they would with Hitler. (They might get away with Erich but that’s not a very catchy name for a pizza company)

because the red baron was romanticized after WW1 as being one of the last noble warriors sort of a knight in but riding sn airplane when war was seen as a “gentleman’s honorable pursuit” but from what I’ve read and watched about the man was he was a spoiled whiny and extremely petty noble pretty much how he was portrayed in the movie “the blue max”

Because if the put a caricature of Snoopy on it, MetLife would sue…?

Because people would be confused by a beagle pizza.

Are you sure…?

Oh, I thought you said a bagel pizza!

…from a quick google:

https://www.wsj.com/articles/snoopy-remembers-the-red-baron-but-few-germans-do-1450057967

I’ve long wondered this as well. But it’s not the only case of associating pizza with Germans. When I lived in Salt Lake City, one of the pizza places I used to go to was the Rathskellar ( Ratskeller - Wikipedia ) It was decorated with Germanic motifs, and pizza was their main dish.

Another place that served pizza in a very non-Italian milieu was the Warburton’s restaurant in Boston, which had “traditional British-style” cheddar cheese pizza. Nowhere else have I encountered the claim that Cheddar Cheese pizza was a traditional British dish. I suspect the only “traditional” part of it is that cheddar cheese itself is. Long gone, of course

Regarding Red Baron Pizza, the company disavows any connection with Manfred von Richthofen:

Yeah, right. I believe as much as I believe that Yogi Bear has nothing to do with Yogi Berra, or Baby Ruth has nothing to do with Babe Ruth, or Skippy Peanut Butter has nothing to do with the comic strip Skippy.

I mean, how many Red Barons do you know of?

I was going to start a line of frozen pie and ice cream you can buy as a combo from the grocery store: General de Santa Anna’s Frozen Desserts. Slogan: Remember the a la mode!

I was advised against it.

My dad owned a biplane, a Stearman N2S3. In the late 70’s he was approached by the Red Baron pizza company about using it for their advertising. He would have had to change the paint job from the plane’s Navy colors, so he declined.

I think it’s the same reason you have “Little Caesar” pizzas. The real Julius Caesar ensalved and sold tens of thousands of people and conquered and killed hundreds of thousands.

You get the general mystique of the name/character and little else.

I’m sure the brand owes a lot more to Charles Schulz and a Sixties novelty song than it does to any interest in WWI aviation.

He wasn’t even red. He was the same pasty white color as most Germans are. This whole concept is off kilter.

In Germany, isn’t Richthofen’s nickname closer to the Red Fighter Pilot? (Der rote Kampfflieger)

No, it’s also the Red Baron, “der rote Baron”.

Which I also find confusing since his title in German was Freiherr. Is there a difference between a frieherr and a baron or is it like sir and knight in English?

I don’t think Red Baron pizza are precooked. They’re just frozen.

In his final sortie, he was tag-teamed by two allied pilots–one British and one Canadian–while being strafed by a ground-based gunner. I don’t know if Red Baron Pizza delivers, but that’s the never-say-die spirit I would want in my pizza delivery!