What's the farthest you've been from home?

We are a wide and varied group here and I was wondering what is the farthest everyone has been from their home and how did you get there?

For me, it’s Berlin. I was there in May 1997 while visiting hubby’s family in Northern Germany.

Everyone wants to save the world, but no one wants to help Mom with the dishes.-P.J. O’Rourke

For me California. Hey how much farther can you get from GA than CA?

I do not like to fly, so I do not do a lot of traveling. Work may require me to go to Europe next year and I am not looking forward to it.

Jeffery

Singapore, which is 12,000 kilometers from home and South Africa, which is 11,000 km’s.

Home should be read as “The Netherlands”, by the way.

Coldfire

“You know how complex women are”

• Neil Peart, Rush (1993)

I live in NYC, and I’ve been to Israel. That seems to be as far from home as I’ve ever been.

Chaim Mattis Keller
ckeller@schicktech.com

“Sherlock Holmes once said that once you have eliminated the
impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be
the answer. I, however, do not like to eliminate the impossible.
The impossible often has a kind of integrity to it that the merely improbable lacks.”
– Douglas Adams’s Dirk Gently, Holistic Detective

1450 miles from Toledo, Ohio (the armpit of the world) to Cancun, Quintana Roo, Mexico.

Bah! Hardly worth mentioning. Amsterdam, here I come.

“The problem with the world is that everyone is a few drinks behind.” - Humphrey Bogart

Misawa, Japan. I lived there for about a year when I was growing up. It was a very long plane ride from San Antonio, TX. It would be even farther from Washington DC where I currently live. BTW, I have lived on both coasts and several places in between.

Incidently, I was deported from Japan at 11 years old because my father would not renew my visa. Check out the story in the thread that talks about the most interesting town you have been driven out of.

Hugs!
Sqrl

Move over Satan. :wink: Now there’s something meatier. http://smallwonder.simplenet.com/COC.html

“Toledo was just another good stop along the Good King’s highway…”

UncleBeer,

I’ll be the one at the airport waving the sixpack of Heineken :slight_smile:

Coldfire

As long as you don’t make me drive. You’ve probably seen my story about Heinekens and driving in the worst thing you’ve ever done thread.

“The problem with the world is that everyone is a few drinks behind.” - Humphrey Bogart

Yeah, saw that one… although it might be a bad idea in Toledo, it’s considered suicide in Amsterdam rush hour traffic - You’ll need F18A Hornett Pilot Reflexes over here :wink:

So, we’ll ditch the car real soon and hit the town center - by bike, of course !

Coldfire

Somewhere in the wasteland of the Saudi and Iraqi deserts.

One of my goals to get from Michigan is to go to the remotest island in the world, Tristan da Cunha. That or Siberia.

The Rings of Saturn (in a dream.)

J’ai assez vécu pour voir que différence engendre haine.
Henri B. Stendhal

Home is Long Island, NY.

Eastward, my longest trip was to Germany, for a class trip in 10th grade.

Westward, I’ve been as far as Hawaii, on a family vacation.

Laugh hard; it’s a long way to the bank.

The farthest I’ve ever been from home is Connecticut, I think. About 2000 miles. I need to travel more, dammit! Strtrkr, if you don’t want to fly to Europe, I’ll do it for you…

Modest? You bet I’m modest! I am the queen of modesty!

Home: Atlanta, Georgia
Farthest travel: Seattle, Washington

Whats’s that, ~2500 miles?

The overwhelming majority of people have more than the average (mean) number of legs. – E. Grebenik

Backpacked to Istanbul in 1993. Crossed the Bosphorus to Asia and sat in a cafe with some locals (and a madman from NY) and had four cups of tea (in those crazy lil gilded cups) and some of the best hashish in my life to commemorate the occasion.

I was born in Texas. When I was in the Navy in the late 70’s, my ship, a destroyer, was sent to Anchorage, Alaska. Three weeks later, we were in Hawaii. Since my ship was a Reserve “tin can”, we never went for long tours. Those were the longest trips we ever took.

Those who do not learn from the past are condemned to relive it. Georges Santayana

Year: 1993
Home at the time: None, really. Between Pittsburg (grad school) and Denver (new job).
Traveled to: China (including the interior), Hong Kong (was still separate then), Thailand (including the north) and India.
This was the farthest physically that I’ve traveled from my home.

In terms of farthest conceptually/emotionally, I’d have to say chartering a plane to fly us (family) into a remote dirt airstrip in the Selous Game Reserve in Tanzania in 1994 for a walking safari and “fly camping”. This basically means sleeping on a river bank in a sleeping bag with mosquito net over you and a lantern on a stick beside you so you don’t get trampled in the night. Then you wake up in the AM with elephant tracks, etc. going right past you. Absolutely magical.

The hard part was, left camp on a Saturday morning, flew to Dar Es Salaam, then to Nairobi, then London, Chicago, Denver. Took 1.5 days of solid travel to get home and on Monday morning I was stuck in the commuter traffic on my way back to my “high-tech” job. 48 hours earlier I’d been sleeping
in the wilds of East Africa. Very disconcerting. Felt like I’d traveled about a million miles (and a couple centuries to boot!). But also part of why I like traveling so much. (Gee, can you tell?)

Home: Houston, Texas

Furthest distance: Edmonton, Canada.

This was the “furthest” trip from home in more ways than one: I went there to visit a long-term Internet friend (Hi, Sue!)

You say “cheesy” like that’s a BAD thing.

Nepal, which is just about as far away from Chicago you can get. Go any further East and you’ll be heading back.

Don’t get me wrong–I love life. I’m just finding it harder and harder to keep myself amused.