What's the first movie you recall seeing that made you cry?

Dot and the Kangaroo. It was made in 1977, but I’m pretty sure I didn’t see it until I was about five. I don’t remember exactly what the movie was about, but I DO remember crying and having dreams about that movie for quite a long time after.

Jesus Christ, you people remind me of my age with relentless regularity.

If TV movies count, it was an adaptation of All Quiet on the Western Front, at the end (with Ernest Borgnine and John Boy from the Waltons), when I was about 8 or so as well.

Or the shame of being locked in a Crazy Elephant wagon. Trust me… it never goes away.

Mine was Dog of Flanders

The second was more memorable: Die Brucke

I saw it on late-night TV. It upset me so much (I was maybe 12 or 13) that I went for a long, agnst filled walk to contemplate life, the universe and everything.
I was picked up by the police who accused me of being drunk and or stoned and otherwise up to no good.
My parents were delighted to be woken up at 3AM by the police who gave them a lecture on parenting. :rolleyes:

I tried to explain but they weren’t interested to hearing about “Man’s Inhumanity to Man” from a troubled teenager. :frowning:

So I switched to watching The Three Stooges and getting stoned. :wink:

When I was a kid in the seventies, certain movies were shown once a year on TV and the event was practically a national holiday as far as we were concerned. I remember well assuming the position to watch Snoopy, Come Home…lying on the floor on my stomach, propped up on my elbows with my hands concealing the side view of my face so my brother wouldn’t see me crying. Of course, he was doing the exact same thing.

Snoo-oo-oo-oo-py, Snoo-oo-oo-py, why oh why did you roam? Come home, come home.

My mom took about 5 or 6 of us girls too and we brought tissues with us also. It was quite a production.

Where the Red Fern Grows. For some reason it was the go-to movie for rainy days at my elementary school. I can remember sitting at my desk, sobbing so hard I couldn’t catch my breath.

Born Free. I remember it like it was yesterday.

When I was 7, 8 I was on vacation @ Daytona Beach (FL) when, during a rainy day and we were all stuck inside, I caught this B&W (possibly French) movie about a young boy and girl who, IIRC, performed funeral services for animals (it was during a war, I think…). If it wasn’t funeral services, it was something akin to that, but regardless: dead animals were a big part of this film (or, better, a big part of my memories about this film). Regardless, it was extremely sad…

Any help identifying it would be appreciated. :slight_smile:

I also cried during ET and Titanic.

I posted this before, and since it’s a good story, I’ll do it again…

West Side Story. I saw it on TV with the whole family, it must have been the TV premier because I remember it being a big deal. I couldn’t have been more than 7.

The “how many bullets?” speech still chokes me up.

Bambi

And Dumbo… the momma in the cage caressing little Dumbo with her trunk… :frowning:

The Neverending Story, when Artax dies in the swamp.

When I was a kid, Interview with the Vampire brought a tear to my eye when Claudia died.

The Last Unicorn. I was four.

The Three Lives Of Thomasina was the first movie I remember seeing in a theater. The interplay between Patrick McGoohan’s character and his daughter after he had Thomasina put to sleep was more than I, as a seven year old, expected from a Disney movie.

I don’t think I’ve ever cried emotionally at a movie, but “Darby O’Gill and the Little People” had a screaming banshee in it that made me want to crawl back into the uterus. Scariest damned thing I’d ever seen in my life up till that point. I was maybe 4 or 5 at the time.

Jeux interdits (Forbidden Games) perhaps? imdb, Wikipedia.

Bambi first.

I think the second was E.T.

As soon as I saw the title, I thought “THAT’S IT!!”

Thanks!