What's the wedding night etiquette in an arranged marriage ?

(sorry for the delay-I was away from my computer for a few days)

First, let me say that the whole experience has completely shattered my beliefs and assumptions about love and marriage. We’ve been married 17 years now, and we both think we’re very fortunate; not only in comparison to each of our first marriages, but compared to many (most?) other couples who met/dated/married the standard “Western” way.

How can such a thing be successful? How can two people who have only met for a few days total, who’ve never had any sort of intimacy, and (in our case) are from two completely different cultures - different planets, almost - get married and live happily ever after? It is contrary to all our thinking, even that of our parents, on dating and familiarity before marriage.

I’ll tell you why it works: you eliminate the bullshit.

I started a long dissertation of the challenge of dating, but abandoned it; everyone knows. And what everyone knows is that the “mating dance” is, after all, a dance. In our telephone conversations before the engagement, there was no dancing; there were two people who were both looking for a mate, who knew what they wanted, and were straightforward in discussing it.

We couldn’t possibly be more different as people, but it just works. All those traditional ideas of “compatibility” seem completely worthless.

She taught me how to be a husband simply by being a wife.

And she taught me what love, what devotion are all about, without saying anything. My favorite example of this is when we had been married perhaps two years, and were on a car trip. Late one night we went through a McDonald’s drive-thru; I got a soda, she got hot tea. I went back onto the freeway and while driving, happened to notice out of the corner of my eye as she added the cream and sugar to her tea, then snapped on the lid. She had made it, not to her liking, but to mine. She did it on the off-chance that maybe I might like a sip at some point. She did it knowing that I’d not notice, but she did it anyway. For me.

That’s love. From an “arranged”* marriage.

• arranged in the common, modern middle-class sense: family knew friends who made acquaintance with my friends etc; pictures exchanged; meeting arranged; met, and agreed to talk more. Three weeks later we’re engaged. No hanky-panky until wedding. Seems pretty standard in the Asian communities.

Both parties pencil in “sex, 8:00 PM to 8:15 PM” in their dayplanners.

It’s not within my experience, but on another message board I read a thread about a woman who escaped her Satmar Hassidic Judaism family and described a bunch of really strange customs. She had said that boys and girls were completely isolated to the point where most men were completely frightened of women at the time of their arranged marriage. They were not even allowed to look at a woman on the street. They would only meet a couple of times beforehand and then the day of the wedding the Rabbi would tell the guy what sexual intercourse was about. She said many regarded the consummation of their marriage to be the most frightening thing they ever experienced.

Doesn’t sound like a pleasant way to go about reproducing, but what do I know. Her stories were absolutely fascinating as she described all the new experiences she had that any normal kid would experienced before the age of 6.

Yow, that IS love! No matter how much I ever loved someone, I would never get **my **coffee with sugar on the off chance they might want some. Not if I planned to drink any myself. I can’t drink it that way!

(I couldn’t use your tea example because I can drink tea either way.)

I would guess it is awkward but since it’s part of the culture and everyone else is in the same boat, people expect it to be awkward and accept it and it’s just part of life.

In every culture and every person’s life there’s awkwardness over certain situations. Not a big deal in the larger scheme of things.

I understand that you’ve not claimed it was a big deal. But my point is that you can’t view the awkwardness from the perspective of someone whose expectations for the wedding night are for a non-awkward incredibly romantic experience. Those are not the expectations of people in those cultures, so the impact is very different.

My coworker is in an arranged marriage and she adores her husband. They wrote back and forth to each other for several months (he was in the US, she in India) before the marriage and met in person a few days before. They both had ‘veto’ power but I guess it was a good match.

This is the thing that I think is poorly understood. In most arranged marriages nowadays, at least all the ones I’ve encountered, the man and the woman each has veto power. It’s arranged, not forced.