What's the word for people with no limbs?

I need a word for these fraternal twins I know who are thalydimide babies-

They don’t have any arms or legs.

they can’t be called amputees, because they were born that way.

What’s a polite way of referring to their condition?

Webster says apodal, having no limbs, feet, or foot-like appendages.

Accented on 1st syllable.

No legs: paraplegic
No arms/legs quadraplegic

Zev Steinhardt

[bad joke]
First base.
[/bad joke]
While I think apodal might be the technically correct term, I would simply say limbless to be sure of being understood.
[nitpickin’ good fun]
I always though the Latin root pod- simply meant foot, hence gastropod (stomach-footed) and cephalopod (head-footed).
[/nits done been picked]

The general term for “Gross hypo- or aplasia of one or more long bones of one or more limbs” is ectromelia. “The concept includes amelia, hemimelia, and phocomelia.” (from the National Library of Medicine)

Note: hypoplasia is “a condition of arrested development in which an organ or part remains below the normal size or in an immature state.” From Merriam-Webster’s Collegiate Dictionary. Aplasia is when an organ or part fails to develop at all.

The form of ectromelia associated with exposure to thalidomide in utero is “phocomelia” which is a particular type of hypolasia in which the limbs are “seal-like,” hence the term phocomelia which means “seal limbs.”

“No legs: paraplegic
No arms/legs quadraplegic”
No cigar.

The “plegic” part of both words denotes paralysis. If a person doesn’t have a limb the limb cannot be considered paralyzed so a person without legs couldn’t be paraplegic and a person without arms/legs couldn’t be quadriplegic.

<another bad joke>
Q: What do you call a man with no arms or legs in a swimming pool?

A: Bob

:slight_smile:

<hijack>
What do you call a man with no arms or legs?
Matt

Where do you find a dog with no legs?
Right where you left it.
<hijack>

What do you do with a dog that has no legs?
Take him for a drag.

What do you call a cow with no legs?
Ground beef.

Under a car: Jack

In a pothole: Phil

Hanging on a mountain ledge: Cliff

Hanging on a wall: Art

two of em standing by a window?

Curt ‘n’ Rod.
jb

Why did the guy call his dog with no legs “Cigarette”?

Cuz every once in a while he’d take him out for a drag.
jb

As pleased as I am to encounter jokes that are actually older than I am, could we please dispense with the wisecracks and help out the OP, if a scientific term exists besides apodal?

you mean I didn’t make that up?
jb

There was a thread about people without limbs, I think.

I just have to say these two:

What do you call a cow with 2 legs?

Lean beef

What do you call a cow with no legs on the side of a hill?

Lean groud beef

Basket case?

ducks and runs

I just learned the other day where that phrase comes from!

That’s hilarious! (but mean- ahem, yes very mean)
jb,
tee hee

After checking m-w.com, I see that you are right. I stand corrected and thank you Yeah.

Zev Steinhardt

I was watching a show last night about old-style Sideshows, with interviews of people who had been in some. The monkey-faced girl, the alligator boy, the human balloon, the half-girl and the dog-boy (not all were interviewed).

I realise that this definitely doesn’t apply to all people like this, but these freaks were perfectly satisfied referring to themselves as freaks. 'twas really cool, too.