"What's Up DoC?", "Warner Bros. on DVD, that's what"

The Looney Tunes -Golden Collection DVD is finally here! Oh what a wonderful day. The quality is reportedly excellent. But why no “What’s Opera, Doc?” or “I Love to Singa”. Oh well, it does have possibly the greatest animated short ever, “Duck Amuck”. Time to work in the butt groove on my sofa.

DVD Features:
56 classic animated shorts restored and re-mastered to its original form

Audio Commentary & Introduction

Documentaries

Featurette

Complete listings:

Disc 1 - Bugs Bunny

Baseball Bugs, Rabbit Seasoning, Long-Haired Hare, High Diving Hare, Bully for Bugs, What’s Up Doc?, Rabbit’s Kin, Water, Water Every Hare, Big House Bunny, Big Top Bunny, My Bunny Lies over the sea, Wabbit Twouble, Ballot Box Bunny, Rabbit of Seville

Disc 2 - Daffy Duck & Porky the Pig

Duck Amuck, Dough for the Do-Do, Drip-Along Daffy, Scaredy Cat, The Ducksters, The Scarlet Pumpernickel, Yankee Doodle Daffy, Porky Chops, Wearing of the Grin, Deduce, You Say, Boobs in the Woods, Golden Yeggs, Rabbit Fire, Duck Dodgers in the 24 1/2 Century

Disc 3 - All Stars

Elmer’s Candid Camera, Bugs Bunny and The 3 Bears, Fast and Furry-ous, Hair-Raising Hare, The Awful Orphan, Haredevil Hare, For Scent-imental Reasons, Frigid Hare, The Hypo-Chondri-Cat , Baton Bunny, Feed the Kitty, Don’t Give Up The Sheep, Bugs Bunny Gets the Boid, Tortoise Wins By A Hare

Disc 4 - All Stars

Canary Row, Bunker Hill Bunny, Kit for Cat, Putty Tat Trouble, Bugs and Thugs, Canned Feud, Lumber Jerks, Speedy Gonzales, Tweety’s S.O.S., Foghorn Leghorn, The, Daffy Duck Hunt, Early to Bet, Broken Leghorn, Devil May Hare

Great set, and the extras look enticing. Still, the ones I’m most missing:

Duck! Rabbit, Duck! - why only 2/3 of the hunting trilogy?
One Froggy Evening - even a bigger omission than Opera, IMO.
Past Perfumance - Pepe’s best film
Buccaneer Bunny - my favorite Yosemite Sam
The Great Piggy Bank Robbery - Clampett’s best

Still, a ton to love, which means I’ll be picking it up soon, and looking forward to the next release, which promises plenty more goodies.

Warners has apparently got a lot of complains that some favorite Looney shorts haven’t been put on the disc, but restoring the cartoons takes a while. Warner plans to release one set every year, it seems, according to an MSN news article. The restoration is pretty nice!

This is out? Oh dear, I’ll be even poorer than usual, since I must buy this!

Let’s see…

56 down, approx 960 to go (since we’re not going to release the SNAFU, Hook, and other stuff which was paid for by the US).

Minus the ~150 which’ll never see light of day again.

Leaves us with 810

At one release per year, and approx. 60 cartoons per release…

It’ll only take 13.5 years!

Lucky for my I’'ve already got most of 'em (and on DVD :slight_smile: )

Picked this up today, and it’s an excellent set.

Discerning SDMB members are reminded that what they really want is the 4-disc “Golden Collection,” which has 56 cartoons and a ton of extras. Avoid the inferior 2-disc “Premiere Collection,” which only has 28 cartoons and no extras.

Dear Santa:

I’ve been a very good boy this year, but only want one thing for Christmas…

Thankfully, Warner points this out. A sticker on the front and a black box on the back read “28 of the shorts in this collection are also included in the Looney Tunes Premiere Collection.”

Since Jerry Beck says that if the Golden Collection sells well, there’ll be more to come, I’m doing my part to promote it in my sig.