What's up with Jesse Jackson, Jr?

A really strange article

Does the Jackson family think this is the way to change the public perception of Jesse Jr?

He’s dealing with disappointment that he didn’t get a Senate seat? He’s a congressman! Not like he’s working the overnight shift in a coal mine.

I’m so tired of people picking on Palin… Why can’t you all just leave her aloooone!

My personal theory is that JJ Sr. fancied himself a Joe Kennedy, engineering an American political dynasty. If JJ Sr. couldn’t be the first black PotUS (Sr. did run as a candidate for the Dem nomination in 84 and 88) he wanted to groom his son for it. Aside from that, the family has long had political ambitions.

I think JJ Sr. is pissed as hell that Obama succeeded so wildly without assistance from the Jackson camp - there’s the infamous “cut his nuts off comment” recorded on July 6, 2008. Then there’s this scandal with Bloggo and suddenly, even though Jr. has never been formally accused of wrong-doing his name is mud and he can’t get the senate seat and he can’t be mayor of Chicago. I think daddy is pissed as hell and maybe he took it out on the kid (even if the kid is an adult) and between that, and a lifetime of being groomed and positioned for political climbing and suddenly being shut out of the climb Jr. is having a breakdown of some sort. Nevermind that people have staged political comebacks before and Jr. has considerable time in which to resume his upward ambitions, he might well be feeling a failure right now (even though objectively he’s quite successful in many ways) and if his family/daddy is agreeing with that… well, sometimes this is really a problem.

Jr. has also been involved in a few other things that just aren’t going anywhere - the proposed “Chicago third airport” a.k.a. Abramham Lincoln airport (or whatever they’ve proposed calling it these days) which has been stalled forever and still isn’t likely to ever be built. Likely that sort of disappointment is also contributing.

Of course, that is only my opinion so don’t ask me for a cite, there isn’t one. Barring further information, though, it’s my own working theory.

In regards to the link provided to Mrs. Jackson: honey, if your kid can’t handle disappointment that’s because of the way YOU raised him. In other words, if you didn’t give him good coping skills while he was growing up that’s YOUR screw up, not his. Which, to my mind, is just another example of the “adults” in that family shifting blame to anyone but themselves.

That’s perfectly awful. Thanks, Mom, for making my mental breakdown all my fault!

Clearly the Jackson family is having problems handling whatever is challenging J3. Which of course can’t be helping his own recovery. If your family is making like your mental illness is some sign of weakness, this probably only exacerbates the issue. So instead of getting help when he needed it, it’s probably festered and festered until it’s reached a real crisis point.

I can’t pretend to know the Jacksons, but I’ve met both J2 and J3 - it was many years ago. Clearly Dad has/had strong ambitions for J3, for some time. It looks like something went wrong at some point. This certainly is a sad outcome thus far. :frowning:

What’s with the old meme of being in the hospital being treated for “exhaustion”? Why do you need to be in the hospital for that? Just take a week off work and go to bed.

Honestly, that’s the same opinion I have. Oh no, Jackson missed the 33rd symbolic vote on repealing health care? Heavens to Betsy, what if he was the deciding vote!? :rolleyes:

Congress has no plans of accomplishing anything until after the election so Jackson’s “It’s his job” presence is every bit as pointless and symbolic as the House votes between now and November. His office is open and productive for his district and he’s had a comparatively sterling voting attendance record up until this event.

And, yes, I’d feel the same if it was my Congressman. Hell, the most productive thing Rep. Kinzinger could do would be to stay home for a couple months and stop burning gas.

Its usually a euphemism for a mental breakdown, severe depression or other psychologicial problem. It doesn’t really mean the person is “really tired” as you’d think from the colloquial use of the term.

When a celebrity publicist or politicians PR flac doesn’t want to say they checked their client into the hospital because they were curled up in a fetal position and wouldn’t stop crying, “exhaustion” sounds as good as anything else.

With that opinion, why have a House of Representatives at all? Once the election determines the majority party, just have the new speaker submit legislation directly to the Senate.

This last Congress certainly hasn’t been an argument in favor of having one, I’ll grant you that. When they get back to making real legislation designed to go through both chambers and be signed by the president rather than worrying solely about politics I’ll worry about whether any given congresscritter shows up to be part of the process.

One can think of plenty of situations where parties are split enough on votes that actually counting each vote is important. Boehner has needed Dem votes to pass legislation over the protests of the more ideological members of his party several times.

But as Jophiel said that’s not going to be the case in any vote between now and the election. Its a unified GOP making symbolic votes that won’t go anywhere in the Senate from now till November.

Here’s a nice graphic representation of why people don’t (or probably shouldn’t) care if JJJr misses some votes.

I don’t see the story on their website, but the* Chicago Sun-Times* today reported that Jackson’s challenger has raised less than $5000, not even enough to file an FEC report.

Well, shut my mouth. The Mayo Clinic announced today (presumably with his permission) that Jackson is being treated for bipolar disorder. Good for him for getting help, and for making this announcement.

Very politically convenient for Rep. Jackson.

Convenient sure, but not suspicious… unless he’s just trying to distract from the president’s budget!

Maybe it’s because…he’s bipolar.