Whats up with men and bowties?

There are relatively few men who wear these things and obviously they are not for the “everyday” man.
(Thank you, God…)

So why do men wear these things?
All the bowtie wearers have similar personality traits.
Is it a genetic defect?
Do they just like the attention? hahahahaha
Is it a personality disorder?
Has anyone studied this?
Is there a certain woman who finds bowties attractive and a turn on? Does she have the same genetic defects?
Why does a bowtie look HOT on a man in a Tux but ridiculous with anything else?
Obviously I find them silly.
What do you think about bowties and the wearing therof?
Disclaimer:
If your Daddy or a loved one wears/wore a bowtie, remember this is just MHO and doesnt reflect on you in anyway… :slight_smile:

Bow ties are OK, although I’ve given up wearing them unless I’m wearing a tuxedo. I have a neck that mostly doesn’t exist and they look really stupid squashed under my chin.

In my experience the only advantage that a bow tie has over a four-in-hand is that an adversary can’t grab a bowtie to choke you during a fistfight. If it’s tied properly, a bow tie will simply come undone in your assailant’s hand.

Zappo

Bow ties are more than garments. They are statements.

They say that the wearer is not a braindead corporate drone that dresses like a robot. And they say that the wearer has taken the time and effort to learn an exclusive skill that, like polishing one’s own shoes, is a sign of Old World breeding and good taste.

And the sight of an untied bow tie draped around a man’s neck at the end of a long hard day, I am told, can be quite a turn on.

So there.

As a semi-sorta hijack, I’d just like to say there is something utterly sexy about a man that not only owns his own tux, but can tie his own bow tie.

It’s difficult for me to ignore this type of quality.
Carry on, thank you.

::stuyguy reads Nymysys’s post with eager interest. He quickly clicks on her profile. He immediately starts researching airfares from NYC to Chicago…::

This was told to you by who, a haberdasher trying to sell you a bow tie?
Bow ties are appropriate only when wearing a tuxedo, or a white linen suit and your name is Colonel Sanders. Any other occasion, you’re making a fashion statement: I am a dork.

:slight_smile:

You just made my day!

You know, I own a Colonel Sanders-issued bowtie. I keep it next to the photo of the Colonel with my grandfather.

It’s a clip-on.

Bow ties don’t scream “I’m a dork” at all. I have a couple that I wear when I want to have a little fun with dressing (I work in an environment that requires a suit and tie everyday). They have a certain nattiness to them, if you ask me (and, yes, I polish my shoes religiously and use shoe trees in every pair I have).

So, what’s in your closet Chas.E.?

checks criteria

Own tux? ayuh

Know how to tie the bow? ayuh

(though I prefer the new style angled ribbon)

Woo!!!
smooches Nym So how significant is THIS factor as part of our relationship hon?

Uh-huh. And where were you when I was in NYC at a DopeFest? Huh? HUH?

Dear, I always knew you were quality.

And, Kipper, it was my pleasure. Merely stating my opinion, but I’m glad it brought some happiness to your day.

:slight_smile:

I like bow ties.

[ul]
[li]They just look cool.[/li]
[li]You have to be very creative to spill soup on them.[/li]
[li]When babies/toddlers, my kids couldn’t grab hold of a dangling end and choke me.[/li]
[li]When angry, Mrs. Ivorybill can’t grab hold of a dangling end and choke me.[/li]
[li]They’re cheaper than regular ties.[/li]
[li]They’re more immune to the whims of the fashionistas who decide that this year’s ties will be thinner/wider than last year’s.[/li]
[li]They don’t look like I’m wearing a giant arrow pointing towards my genitals.[/li]
[li]ChasE is annoyed by them.[/li][/ul]

Any questions?

Don’t know if this applies in the US, but here (UK) you’ll find that doctors – especially hospital consultants – wear bow ties more often than most other professionals. I was told that this is because they feel the need to wear a tie to look professional, but that regular ties are a hazard 'cos of the risk of them dangling into your wound while they’re examining you!

Personally, I only ever wear a bow tie with a dinner suit (tux).

In support of this thesis, I offer the following example:

John Paul Stevens (now of the US Supreme Court) frequently wears bow-ties. Before he was appointed to the Court, he was appearing one day in court, and his opponent made some gibe about people who wear “clip-on bow ties.” Then it was JPS’s turn to argue. While he was making his submissions, JPS pulled the ends of his bow-tie, showing that it was not a clip-on. Then, still making his argument, he re-tied it.

A bow-tie is a sign of an independent mind.

I have several bow ties (no clip-ons!) - unfortunately I haven’t worn 'em in a long while. For me, just a plain shirt and a bow tie doesn’t look right. Too much open space between the collar and the belt. It needs either a jacket, a vest, or a sleeveless V-neck sweater. All of which are NOT clothing options during a Northern Virginia summer.

Hugo Boss, Donna Karan, and Armani suits, Lorenzini shirts, Armani, Versace, and Dior neckties. I bet my necktie collection cost more than your most expensive suit.
Maybe instead of asking that guy in the mirror if you look like a dork, you should be asking the people who are laughing behind your back.

Oooh. Wow. The big expensive names intimidate me, yet seduce me. Oooh. Wow. Look! ChasE buys expensive clothes!

Hey, he asked. It’s not like I wear the labels on the outside of the suits.

I poked around the web, it is interesting that none of the bow tie sellers actually show pictures of people wearing the ties, or the buyers would see how awful bowties look. But there are some interesting comments.

From the Esquire Style Guide:
“bow ties are best worn by university professors and leprechauns.” Note the picture of the fashion model:
http://www.esquire.com/style/esqna/010612_wqa_bow.html
He looks like a dork.

Another dork:
http://www.dirac.es/usuarios/bowtie/images/personajes/yo%20con%20cartas.JPG

“It is not the name in the label,…but how you look in it.”

“You can’t wear a bow tie with anything other than a tux if you’re under 45 or not a famous novelist or not a total geek, professor.”

“To have absolute style is to break absolute rules - even these.”

From Esquire Style.

I think they’re pretty flexible on the subject.

On style:
If you have to rely on a magazine like Esquire to tell you what you should wear to be in style, you obviously haven’t any style of your own. If you haven’t any style of your own, reading Esquire isn’t going to help you all that much. Unless of course you have a sense of style but it’s so atrophied that it believes that Whatever Everyone Else Is Wearing is always exactly the right thing to wear. In which case, I’m sorry.

On bowties:
I only know three guys who wear bowties on a regular basis. All of them are quirky. Two of them are straight-edge punks who wear bow-ties ironically. The third wears bowties because he has a very Old World sense of style. The first two look geeky, but that is on purpose; it is their kind of style. The third does not look geeky; he looks debonair.