What's wrong with Jason Giambi?

I know, it’s really none of my business. MLB ain’t tellin’, and I haven’t seen any speculation, and it’s probably a TMI answer anyway. But Inquring Minds Want to Know.

Earlier, he was diagnosed with some intestinal parasite, as were I believe Kevin Brown, Giambi’s wife, and, IIRC some other player. How they all got the same bug I am hoping was just from eating the same food someplace where not all employees washed hands before leaving rest room.

Anyway, all the others have returned to normal but not The Giambino, who continued weak and ill. I can’t help wondering if this relates the the steroids he didn’t take :wink: . Then, recently, after numerous tests, it was revealed that he has a benign tumor which is being treated and he’s indefinitely on the DL.

What’s got me curious is that they say he’s not being treated with surgery or chemotherapy. What else is there for a tumor? They are not even saying what body part is involved, which of course leads to speculation that it’s a body part that is not normally discussed publicly. Obviously, even if it were his nose he has the right to medical privacy. Still…

What kind of tumor gets treated without surgery or chemo?

Maybe he has tu-more years on his contract. :smiley:

I didn’t know steroids caused tumors and made your body suddenly stop working with no warning, but maybe somebody knows something about it that I don’t.

I wasn’t clear. My speculation was that IF a person took steriods it might impair his immune system. IF that were the case, maybe it would take longer to get over something like a parasitic infection. I didn’t mean it would cause a tumor. Although I suppose it’s possible that a compromised immune system might be more susceptible to certain kinds of tumors. I have no formal medical training, so I may be completely “off base” here.

What I would like to know is, is the tumour in addition to the parasite, or was the tumour originally misdiagnosed as a parasite? Does he have both now, or just the tumour?

All the doctors would say is that the parasite was a misdiagnosis and the benign tumor is the correct diagnosis.

What Giambi’s wife, Kevin Brown, and Gary Sheffield seems more likely to have just been a stomach virus.

Originally, Giambi’s illness was blamed on eating something in Japan and was used as an example of why MLB teams shouldn’t go to Japan.

That’s the first time I’ve heard the misdiagnosis story. I thought they had tested extensively for the parasites in all the sick people.

I still wish I knew what kind of tumor it is, although it really is none of my business. It must be quite annoying for people who are celebreties for one reason or another to have all their body parts talked about in public.

Hey I would not care if I was rich and famous :wink:

What’s wrong with Jason Giambi?

He looks like a frog, that’s what’s wrong with him.

See for yourself.

Yeah, they do have the most awful publicity photo for him.

Still, I think he looked that way before he developed the tumor, whereever it is. I’m still wondering what kind of tumor gets treated without surgery or chemo. Would it be a good idea to ask for this thread to be moved to GQ? I thought since it’s mostly speculative, it belonged here, but maybe I’m wrong.

Well, if it’s somewhere that surgery couldn’t effectively remove it (i.e. an “inoperable” tumor) that wouldn’t be an option. And chemo isn’t effective, AFAIK, on benign tumors. So there must be other options that are being undertaken.

Why this is anyone’s business, I don’t know. He’s ill. He has a tumor. It’s being treated. Anything more is really between Mr. Giambi and his physician, and to a limited extent, his employer, since they are wondering when he’ll be back to work. All this rampant speculation and discussion about this man’s body is pretty distasteful. It’s not for us to know.

You’re absolutely right, of course, and I said as much at the beginning. Part of my curiosity is not with Mr. G. himself, but with exactly how one treats an inoperable benign thing. I really don’t want to know about his specific innards (or whatever). As I said, even if it were a zit on his nose, it’s really not anyone else’s concern.

Why this is anyone’s business, I don’t know. He’s ill. He has a tumor. It’s being treated. Anything more is really between Mr. Giambi and his physician, and to a limited extent, his employer, since they are wondering when he’ll be back to work. All this rampant speculation and discussion about this man’s body is pretty distasteful. It’s not for us to know.
He is not working at Burger King he is a professional baseball player. Just like a famous actor has to realize that who he is dating is going to be news, a professional athelete knows that his physical (medical condition) is going to be public knowledge. In fact the teams have to report accurate assessments of the players health by the rules of baseball. It is for us to know. When he is out of baseball then he will stop being on the injury report.

Steroids certainly can cause tumors.
cite

another cite

still another

So, IF Giambi has taken steroids in the past (opinion withheld), and he currently has a tumor, chances seem to be that it is likely a liver tumor. Apparently the doctors feel it can be treated medically, rather than surgically, and they expect him to be able to play at some point this season. Healthwise, that’s a great sign. As a Red Sox fan, maybe not so much. :wink:

I don’t know about that - if the tumour was caused by steroids, and the treatment involves stopping the steroids, then maybe the return of a skinnier, weaker Giambi wouldn’t be so bad for the Sox. Especially since #$@% Olerud is tearing the cover off the ball.

Do you know what the normal medical treatment is for such things? It was stated in the press that he’s specifically not undergoing “chemotherapy.”

I have no idea. It’s been a while since I last stayed at a Holiday Inn Express, so I can’t even fake an answer. :wink:

Maybe a Doper-Doc will happen by soon.

I think there’s more to this than is being let on, though.

If, and I realize this is a large and unsupported “if,” his illness is due to steroid use, I hope that he (a) gets off and stays off the stuff, and (b) makes a point to younger athletes about how the use of it is not only poor sportsmanship, but very bad for you and possibly even fatal. Of course, that would involve admitting to it, which could cost him his job and/or career, so it’s unlikely.

Still, I’m reminded of how Darryl Strawberry threw away all his talent and accomplishment for drugs of a different sort. One of my kids commented at the time how he had beat a difficult childhood, poverty, discrimination, and cancer, but could not beat the addiction. Sad, very sad.

And then, of course, maybe JG’s illness has nothing to do with steroids or anything else illegal or unethical and is just bad luck.