What's your campaign song?

Fast forward to 2112. Through an unusual (or not so unusual, depending on who you are) combination of circumstances, you’ve just nailed the magic number of delegates to be your party’s nominee for president, early in the primary process. Your stump speech is polished and effective, you’ve got money pouring in, and a talented lineup of people willing to serve in the cabinet if you’re elected.

The problem is, your opponent is in a similar situation, and you both are deadlocked in the polls. You have a little time before the campaign really heats up, but things are so close, any slight advantage may prove to be decisive.

So the staff starts kicking around a campaign song. What are you going to suggest?

Keep in mind that it should be upbeat (nothing from The Cure, for example), modern enough to appeal to young people without being so offbeat as to put off older voters. The lyrics probably should reflect at least some aspect of your campaign message as well. AND it should be easy enough to be recognizable when attempted by a junior high band at a campaign stop somewhere. It would be also nice if you enjoyed the tune enough to hear it hundreds — if not thousands — of times during the long months of the campaign.

Let’s assume, for the sake of the discussion, that whatever song you pick will be allowed by the artist or band, who will take its selection as a compliment.

What’s it gonna be? Born in the USA? - Does Your Chewing Gum Lose its Flavor on the Bedpost Overnight? - Sweet Child O’Mine?

*Flirtin’ With Disaster * - Molly Hatchett

I think that song says it all. :smiley:

Whoa, good question. Okay, so the idea is, you want to get “new” voters charged, right? You’d have to pick something younger people are familiar with, so: Christina Aguillera, “Can’t Hold us Down”…Lil Kim’s part would have to be changed. In my utopia, I’d pick,“Going in the Right Direction,” by Robert Randolph and the Family Band.

Whatcha’ Want by the Beastie Boys.

Electioneering by Radiohead

Intersting choices. Thanks!

I would be extremely tempted to use New Test Leper by R.E.M., but somehow I don’t think this would go over well. CCR’s Fortunate Son? Nah, scrap that too. :smiley:

Got to Get You Into My Life by the Beatles? Aw heck, I don’t know.

Something by the Rolling Stones.

*Margaritaville * by Jimmy Buffet.

I’m not sure why.

Won’t Get Fooled Again

New World Man (Fast forward to 2112, indeed!)

Song 2

Subterranean Homesick Blues

I Want You To Want Me - Cheap Trick

Maggot Brain - Parliament/Funkadelics

Symphony 41 - Mozart

Turn it On, Turn It Up, Turn Me Loose - Dwight Yoakam

Big Yellow Taxi - Joni Mitchell

Brothers in Arms - Dire Straits

New Favorite - Alison Kraus

Sympathy For The Devil.

:smiley:

Rain on the scarecrow, blood on the plow! Rain on the scarecrow, blood on the plow!

Moving this from IMHO to Cafe Society.

Just last niiiiight…

Closer by Nine Inch Nails

“Get Up, Stand Up” by Bob Marley

“Maneater” - Hall and Oates

“Dirty Deeds Done Dirt Cheap” by AC/DC - it’s already my theme song anyway.