What's your daily paper

I get the Toronto Star because some cute girl game by offering a subscription and I’m a sucker.

The subscription that I actually read is the Globe and Mail.

I’m actually using Yahoo news for all of my updates, and local TV news at night. No time for papers.

my daily paper? Charmin…:smiley:

Which is mostly indistinguishable from the local daily newspaper

Possible true but it’s nicely opposite the Star. Think of it like Irish coffee; stimulant and depressant all in one! As others have pointed out, if you’re mainly reading on line the list can be huge. I’ll skim English versions of regional (world) newspapers and some wildly leftist/rightist/who-the-hell-know-ist stuff. I’m hoping it evens out. :slight_smile:

And can’t make it. I’m busied out with prepping the house for the latest edition to the clan (12:30 pm March 18, Set your watches!)

For home delivery we get the San Jose Mercury and the Santa Cruz Senial or as they call it Santa Cruz Sentinel. I have the computer set to Google News.

Oh, the 8 page Chanute Tribune.

Used to be able to read it for free online, but they now charge like 2 bucks a month or something. Bastards.

Wow, this is fascinating to me. I work in national newspaper advertising, so it’s interesting to see that people actually read these papers that I have to work with every day.

Oh, and Voyager, I assume you live in Fremont, CA? I can’t help it, I see either towns or newspaper names and I have to match them up. The Argus is part of the Alameda Newspaper Group, btw. I wish I could turn this off, because it really makes me venture further into dorkdom than I choose to be.

I read the Wall Street Journal every day, although their editorial position often irks me. Their “guest” Op/Ed pieces are usually really good, though, as are the letters to the editor. To their credit they aren’t afraid to publish opposing viewpoints.

I used to read the Boston Globe every day, but now only peruse it on line, and usually hit the NY Times on line as well. I generally watch only local news on TV anymore, and only watch national news if there is a big story (which sadly has been pretty often since Sept. 11).

The Albany Times Union. I’m never sure whether it’s hyphenated or not…

Shoshone County News-Press for local news.
Spokesman-Review (Spokane) for national and international news.

S-R writers refer to the SCN-P as the Show-No-News-Press.
Here in the Silver Valley, the local paper is called the Shoshone County News-Supress. :smiley:

The Toronto Star for that good old hometown coverage to read on the bus and discuss over lunch at work. I’d subscribe to the Globe and Mail as well, but they require a credit card; the Star sends invoices and I pay by internet banking. Silly of the Globe, that: they could have gotten another subscriber.

Online? The BBC is usually my first, then the Sydney Morning Herald, the CBC, and the online versions of the Star and the Globe previously mentioned.

The Idaho Statesman.

The Palm Beach Post, aka Pest, aka Compost. Sorta-okay news coverage, a decent columnist or two, and an editorial staff with a general slant so stereotypically Democratic that it sometimes verges on self-caricature. Better comics than the Miami Herald, though (IMHO), which means that I usually read the editorial pages for a laugh and the comics for a reality check.

Slightly OT: does anyone here know if one of the NYC daily tabloids really used the headline Nut Bolts and Screws on a story about an escaped mental patient being charged with rape? I’d always dismissed that as an UL, but some of the things I’m hearing about the Post and the Daily News now make it sound not quite so far-fetched.

The Kentucky Kernel. It’s the independent school newspaper of the University of Kentucky. If I could afford it, I would be reading the Lexington Herald-Leader, too.

At home, it’s the Mayfield Messenger (no link because I don’t think they have computers) and the Paducah Sun.

Years ago when I lived in St. George, Utah, our daily paper was The Daily Spectrum.

We surmised that it should really be called The Daily Rectum because most of the people that worked there at the time were real a-holes to us radio folk…

Today - my daily news is from Google.

The Argus covers Newark, Hayward and Union City also, but you’re right.

How do they decide what advertising goes where. I can tell that some of the advertising in the Times is local, but a lot is New York advertising. Do the ad rates for NY department stores include the national circulation, or only the NY circulation? I visited the WSJ printing plant in Princeton once, where the printed the NY papers and also sent the copy on a satellite link to other plants. How much of the advertising would be local?

I love learning how weird stuff like this works.

I don’t get a daily paper, mostly I read the Times or the Grauniad online, or maybe check out the BBC news website. Just occasionally I have a quick squizz at our local newspaper (Express and Star) but only when I’m in need of serious amusement.

Our local paper is the Florida Times Union. I quit subscribing a couple of years ago because of the crappy delivery. Plus I found I was recycling most of it unread. I’ll go to their website most days and do a quick skim. Rarely do I read an entire article.

And since I can get the comics and Dear Abby on line, who needs the paper?

Who needs the news when you have the Straight Dope?

Actual scene that happens several times a day at our house:

Mr. Athena: Hey, did you hear about <news article x>?

Me: Oh yeah, I read about that. Did you hear <interesting bit y about news article x> and <sensational fact z about news article x>?

Mr. Athena: er, no. Where’d you read that?

Athena: It’s all on the Straight Dope.

Seriously - the local newspaper here (The Mining Journal, of all things) is crap, so I rely on on-line news. I get my on-line news based on what people are yakking about on the SD. If it’s not newsworthy/funny/sensational enough to get a thread on the SDMB, well, it can’t be that important, can it?

It all kind of depends on what kind of advertising we’re looking at. For the ones that appear within the actual newspaper (i.e. on the page), you have to look at the limitations of a newspaper. Some will print editions for different areas that allow you to more accurately target your customer or an area that you want to reach. A lot of newspapers only print one edition, so if you want to run an ad like this, you’ve gotta buy it all, no matter where it goes. For huge papers like the NY Times, that have national circulation, they might have a San Fran edition or California edition that you can particularly choose to buy. It’s likely that this is how you get your local ads in there.

I primarily work in the preprints (the circulars that fall out of your paper on sunday - yeah, that’s me). Newspapers are more flexible with these, being able to sort and target sometimes even as low as ZIP Code or smaller. We are given parameters by a client (i.e. sales figures, certain demographics like Families with Children or high income) and then we cross reference that with each ZIP Code. We also take into account how far the ZIP is from a store location. Using these parameters, we decide if it would be cost-effective to send an ad to people there.

Hope that answers a little bit of what you wanted to know. It can kinda be hard to explain :slight_smile:

Oh, and to be on-topic, my local newspaper is the Chicago Tribune.