What's Your Next Art or Craft Undertaking?

Sometime in the next few months I’d like to try out that metal clay stuff that you sculpt and fuse with a blowtorch. It looks like fun, and I could make neat pieces for my jewellery.
I just started dyeing, but only already-made fabric. It’s fun. I really think I don’t have room to try papermaking. I’m running out of space since I started the papier mache mask for my Hallowe’een costume.

Spinning with a spindle is easy and fun.

De-stashing.

I want to rid myself of all my sewing paraphenalia that I know I will never use or master.

Regretfully, my husband took the digital camera with him on his trip and I cannot offload the crapola on ebay right now. Boo Hiss.
I’ve sworn off crafts for some time.

I don’t think I need to start on anything new, as I am still knee-deep in my sewing. Currently I am working on expanding a blouse back to its original size…some enterprising taily made it from a size 12 to a size 8 and butchered it in the process. I think I can fix it, but it will take some patience.

Okay…maybe you can explain this to me. When something is tailored down to that degree, don’t they cut off and discard the excess fabric? I’d think this item would be a goner.

Thanks ! I already shop online for glass rods, but it’s always good to check out new sources.

Are you familiar with Arrow Springs and Frantz Art Glass ?

Like Kalhoun said, relatively cheap. I’ve never taken a class, but the cost for that really depends on where you live. One of my local yarn stores offers classes for about $30 per class, not including materials - most courses are 3 classes, once a week IIRC. They also offer a discount on supplies if you buy them there.

Many stores will also offer free help when you buy yarn there. Not a real class, but it’s great if you’re learning from books & the 'net and get stuck on something.

Yarn, like any other craft product, runs from ridiculously cheap (think Wally World acrylic) to insanely expensive (qivuit, which I’ve never seen in a store but have seen online for around $70 or more for one skein).

Hmmm, I have the plans for a very nice wooden kayak on my desk. Of course, I’ve had them for 8 years. But I’m hoping to finally get around to starting it this fall.

Marlitharn and Miss Purl (and anyone else so inclined)

if/when you start spinning, I think I still have some roving (precleaned, precarded wool) that I’m not doing anything with. In the interest of reducing some clutter at my place, let me know if you would be interested in it. My email is in my profile.

That’s the weird thing. All that fabric is still in there. He just ran another seam inside.

Besides, even if the fabric is gone, it’s not a goner if you can find more fabric of that color…you can always add it in.

Thank you all for the feedback on knitting and costs associated with it. I have reasons–which I’m not going to share–for why I’m not trying to get started now, but am thinking of doing so in the semi-near future, maybe.

Among my reasons is a large counted cross-stitch picture which I am upwards of 90% done on, and thoroughly bored with. I should finish it, so that I can frame it and hang it on my wall, and I just don’t want to.

Aaaaah. That 'splains it.

I had a neighbor when I was a kid. He was a really big guy and he’d let his pants out and they’d be like 5 shades of blue darker on the “new” area. But he didn’t care. It was like he was wearing a sign that said, “HEY! I JUST GAINED 30 LBS!!”

Heh, Kalhoun. I really don’t get the idea of leaving the fabric in on this one, though. If you are a size 8 or so, you want all that fabric gone, or you look all puffy on the inside. Weird.

I would like to learn to paint - watercolor or oil. But being as I can’t even draw a stick figure, I fear it would be a hopeless endeavor and a massive waste of money.

Make sure that all the pieces are there if it’s an antique wheel. And you can get a new Ashford Traditional for under $400…

Just sayin’.

Okay, I know a little something about watercolor. The cool thing about learning how to paint is that you’ll learn other cool stuff like how colors work together. You don’t necessarily have to paint an identifiable object. Watercolor is very versatile. You should find a class at your park district or wherever and give it a whirl. You may surprise yourself!

The only time I get to do anything crafty anymore is around Halloween, so I suppose I’ll be whomping something together during the last week of October. I pretty much decide what I want to make, and then talk the kids into it.

Just the other day, the boy was asking me what had become of one of his old costumes. The answer is, I threw it away. But we had a good time remembering how cool it was. It was a cardboard box which I had made into a car with paint and reflectors and an old license plate. He wore it on suspender-like straps.

One of the main things I like about doing crafts is deciding what I want to make and then figuring out a way to do it. I’m not so keen on following directions in order to produce something that looks just like it’s “supposed” to. Come to think of it, I’m the same way when it comes to cooking…I don’t like to follow the recipe!

I’mna make a bottle tree for the garden. I, er, have plenty of bottles, but I may have to learn some more about drill things and such before I build it. I haven’t decided whether I want wood or metal or what. Last thing I did out there was a copper arbor, which will look pretty nice once I finally get the roses up it.

I keep meaning to learn stumpwork - I’ve got a kit, just haven’t sat down with it. I do all kinds of needlework, but I generally end up putting stuff down that isn’t cross stitch, because I find cross stitch so relaxing.

You’re supposed to follow directions? What a novel and boring concept! (Which might, for instance, explain all the things I’ve ruined through stubbornness over the years.)

I’m nearly done with an Quink&bleach painting of a medieval astrolabe, and next I’m painting an ammonite in that same technique.

And I’m making another pair of turnshoes.

I have embarked upon a new (and expensive) adventure in sewing: heirloom dresses for my two daughters. Now mind you, I really dislike most heirloom sewing, since the majority of it seems to involve a lot of work to produce something absolutely beautiful and delicate (if too overdone for my taste)…for an infant to spit up on. Either that or it has smocking, which I don’t want to do. However, I opened up a magazine and found this beautiful simple dress that I just had to make. Well, it’s two dresses that are slightly different. And they involve doing lace insertion and a couple of other techniques I’ve never tried.

So I have the lace all pinned down where it’s supposed to go, and I’m working up the courage to sew it down. Then there’s a little embroidery of a kind I’ve never done before, but once that’s done putting the dresses together will be easy.

After that I want to sew up a Regency-style dress for my older girl; I found this really soft cotton at the same time that I found a pretty pattern for the dress and they will really go together. She’ll look like a Kate Greenaway drawing if I’m not careful!

This is really out of character for me; I usually go for plain, tough clothing and I dislike glittery, lacy, overdone things. But my daughter adores it and it’s fun to sew them up and see her so delighted–and this way I can make them a plain, simple fancy (if that makes any sense).