What's Your Next Art or Craft Undertaking?

Prompted by the “Spent too much at the craft store” thread, I’m interested in what NEW art or craft project you are considering. Something you’ve never done and therefore have no idea whether you’ll enjoy it or not. Also, if you know, please include the anticipated cost to get that baby off the ground.

Me: I am going to take up papermaking. I want to make a paper piece to hang on the wall. I anticipate the lion’s share of the cost will be in the matting and framing (I’m hoping to do an over-the-sofa piece), and the beginner’s kit will run me around $25 or so.

Anyone?

I’m going to try glass fusing. I’ve become addicted to flameworking, but can’t do it at home. Seems to me if I can’t melt the glass in a flame, the next best thing would be to melt it in a kiln.

I was given an electric kiln for Xmas so I won’t have to buy that. I will take a $200 weekend workshop at Corning Museum of Glass, and then I will have to buy a supply of glass … probably another $100 to get started. But I won’t buy the glass until after I take the class, which won’t be until the fall.

I’m seriously thinking of taking up knitting. (or maybe crocheting) Ideally, I would probably take a class at a yarn store as a way to meet people in the area as well as getting someone to help me learn how to knit. I’m not sure how much it would cost.

I have in mind these huge mosaiced stakes for my garden – I’ve been buying various bits of glass and the like, but will need much more. PVC pipes, adhesive, grout, probably, plus the beads and tile – could be $100 or more before it’s all over.

They’re gonna be really cool though.

I used to knit. You can get confirmation from some of the knitters around here, but I think it’s relatively cheap, especially in the learning stages. Plus, you can get discontinued or end of lot yarn on the cheap. It’s lots of fun AND practical!

I’m thinking of something along the lines of these: http://www.thepaperglade.com/art.html

I just bought some raw kozo, which is the stuff rice paper is made out of. It’s really mulberry tree bark, and it has to be cooked, rinsed, cleaned, and beat, all by hand, before it’s ready to be used. Here is a lamp that I made with kozo fiber earlier this year.

Kalhoun, feel free to email me about papermaking, because it’s one of my passions. I’m kind of a snob about it, though, because I think putting junk mail in a blender and making it into pulp isn’t really papermaking. It’s recycling already made paper. Papermaking starts with raw fibers, not commerically made paper.

I was thinking of taking up spinning; my best friend said if I wanted to learn, she’d take the class with me. She weaves, so I’d have someone on whom to bestow my yarn. Should be fairly cheap, if I start with a drop spindle, and wool isn’t expensive, either.

I’d also like to start making my own hairsticks. I just need some sticks, some varnish, some sandpaper, my husband’s Dremel, and some beads (I’m thinking old costume jewelry at junk stores and flea markets would be a veritable goldmine for suitable beads).

I want to eventually get to the point where I make it from scratch. But for now, I’m looking to perfect the technique, and with a shredder full of paper and a dryer full of lint at my disposal, I figure I can get to the good stuff down the road a piece.

Thanks for the offer. I will definitely get in touch with you. And I’d love to see some of your work. Do you have an on-line portfolio?

Eureka, knitting and crocheting start out very harmlessly, cheaply, affordably. Then, you start buying yarn all the time. ALL THE TIME. And then you need some piece of furniture to store your yarn. And new needles. And every size needles in bamboo (or ivory?). And a bigger house with a room to store your yarn. And (sob) it never ends. Just so you know.

Duh. A closer look at your site reveals the paper. Way cool. I’ll be in touch.

Blacksmithing.

Having run out of “crafts you can do in the comfort of your own living room,” I’ve now expanded to doing ones that require fire - lots and lots of it. Last fall was glassblowing. There’s nowhere left to go.

Eureka, if you can find a knitter, you can learn to knit for free. The first hit is always free. It’s much harder to continue to knit for free.

Whenever I get a chance and an extra 100 bucks or so, I’m going to build some form of instrument. I was going to build a solid wood ukulele to replace my substandard plywood one, but I refinished it and put on the best strings money could buy, and now it sounds fairly decent.

I’ve been wanting something more electric, or atleast something with more bass, so I might build an electric guitar. Or I’ll build an amp and piezo power the ukulele. That’s not exactly a craft, though.

I have way too many instruments, but I can’t really play any all that well. I just love playing!

Shop around on line. Most stained glass sites have fusibles. Over all, I save alot on-line on my glass supplies. Here’s one of my favorite glass sites, Anything in Stained Glass

Now that I’ve received a grunt and roll-of-the-eyes of permission from the homeowner, I’m going to paint a wall in my room. I want to play and see what I can create. Supplies should be cheap: my mother’s an artist, so I’ll just steal what I need as far as paints and brushes from her. I think I’ll spend $20 on kitschy stuff from which to draw inspiration. I’ve been stockpiling ideas for a while. Even though it’ll be temporary*, I’m excited!

• Yes, sir, I promise to scrape and repaint when I move out.

Spinning. I found a real Saxony style spinning wheel at a local thrift store for an incredibly cheap price. I haven’t bought it yet–I’m waiting to see what my birthday money amounts to, otherwise I’m going to have to put aside a little money every week until I make it there. (College kind of sucks when it comes to crafting. Textbooks? Who needs textbooks?) But still, less than a thousand dollars which is amazing when it comes to spinning wheels.

Lint and blendered commercial paper make really weak paper. The fibers are really too short to knit together effectively. However, you will be able to perfect your sheet-pulling technique with it.

Also, make sure there is no synthetic fiber in your dryer lint at all. It’ll really mess things up if you do.

I’ve just started learning to crochet. It will be the first time since primary school some 20-odd years ago. I have a close friend who is a great sew-er, quilter, knitter and she’s just about to finish a single bed crocheted blanket. Started my first few rows of a cushion last night and feel very proud that I’m learning something new. And I thought it might be nice to have a skill to pass down to my girls (if/when I have them).
I hate sewing, so couldn’t stand to learn it. Love the look of quilts and would be great at designing them but again, the sewing part. Knitting never really appealed but now that I’m learning crochet it might create a spark of interest in the knitting area.

I’m also going to have a bit of a play with some acrylic paints on canvas this weekend. My husband painted a great abstract heart image for our anniversary and I’ve been interested in doing something to put on the walls, so now I just need some brushes and I can start.

I’m an avid knitter but haven’t done a sweater yet. My next big project will be designing and knitting a sweater.

I also want to start dyeing my own yarn (already-spun) then I will venture into dyeing wool roving and spinning it. I can’t wait!! :smiley:

Thanks for the tip! I saw a thing on a craft show the other day on how to choose long-fiber paper. I also have some watercolor paper I’m going to try. But at this point, I’m more concerned with learning how to pull the sheets. They make it look so easy…yet I hear you really need to develop a touch. We’ll see what happens! Please don’t wander far from your computer. :wink: