Whats your Opinion of Sheriff Joe Arpaio

I thought cock fighting was illegal…better watch yourself before your sporting the latest shade of pink :slight_smile:

From your link, his methods are ineffective, **dangerous **and expensive:

• The family members of inmates who have died in jail custody have filed lawsuits against the sheriff’s office. The lawsuits have cost Maricopa County more than $43 million in settlement claims during Arpaio’s tenure.

• Comparing recidivism rates under Arpaio to those under his predecessor, the study found “there was no significant difference in recidivism observed between those offenders released in 1989-1990 and those released in 1994-1995.”

• An Irish High Court judge, Philip O’Sullivan, refused to extradite Colleary back to Arizona, writing in his decision that Arpaio “gloated over the inhumane treatment he dishes out to his inmates” and “appeared to take a chillingly sadistic pleasure in his role as incarcerator. It was the duty of any Irish court to see that no citizen was handed over to such a regime.”

Moving poll to IMHO.

I don’t follow local politics that closely and even I knew enough about Arpaio to vote against him. Guess it didn’t work.

As somebody who actually runs a prison, my opinion of Arpaio is that he’s an idiot. He’s just using his position to publicize himself. But he’s not doing a good job. The sign of a well-run jail or prison is peace and quiet not riots and lawsuits.

Yes he is. His books sell very well.

Sorry for being unclear. I figure his job is running Maricopa County law enforcement. Self-publicity is just his hobby.

Well I disagree with Little Nemo, he is doing a great job of deterrance, I ain’t going 100 miles near this lunatics juridiction.

Some of this methods seem alright and some seem extraordinarily cruel. Despite what little I or anyone else agrees with him on, he should be sacked at the very least for the deaths. Wanton cruelty and inhumanization breeds contempt, its not surprising his “posse” laughed while prisoners were being injured

Except that the facts show he isn’t. A study found that the recidivism rate in Maricopa County is unchanged.

being sarcastic dude!

He’s an enthusiastic supporter of the War on Drugs!
So, yeah, I think he’s a putz with power.

Exactly – of course the “alleged criminal” is always one of Those Bad People Over There, who must be up to something not good if they’re in trouble. Nothing “we” ever have to worry about . . .

The man has a reasonable of recognition outside his jurisdiction, but I dare say that more people know of him just through the notion that “there’s this sherriff in Arizona who makes the criminals have a really hard time” and they like the notion. Folks buy the books, he gets interviewed, etc., but of course most of the book-buyers or TV viewers are outside his territory so they don’t follow the details of his person and his doings.

This attitude bugs me (and I know you’re not espousing it, just describing it, JRDelirious). It’s the core of every personal belief that constitutional protections can be scrapped in the name of safety or security. It seems like a minority of people have the imagination to consider how they’d feel about abuse of power if they were the victims.

Or perhaps lack the imagination to foresee a circumstance where they WOULD be the victims.

When he worked DEA he was mocked by his fellow agents as being, “Nickel bag Joe.” He’d pop small time users and dealers to pump up his arrest numbers under the justification that maybe it would lead to bigger fish. It almost never did because he kept so busy going after small timers he wouldn’t pursue the information he got from them.

He’s brought the same tactics to his war on illegal aliens. For the record, I’m 100 percent opposed to illegal immigration. I support full deportment and the creation of a much more streamlined visa and guest worker system.

That said, this idiot has made a point of going after taco and corn stand workers and conducting “anti-crime” sweeps where motorists with any infraction whatsoever get pulled over, detained and quizzed about their immigration status.

We in AZ passed an employer sanctions law a few years ago that levies pretty significant penalties on businesses that knowingly hire illegals. So far he’s made three significant investigations, one against a municipality’s janitorial workers because he was in a feud with that town’s mayor and council.

As noted above, he’s cost the county 10s of millions of dollars due to settlements in his human rights abuse and wrongful death lawsuits filed on behalf of people who have died or been injured in his jails.

Lastly, one of the major duties of his office is to serve outstanding felony warrants. At present there are more than 40,000 felony warrants unserved in the county because he devotes a significantly disproportionate amount of his resources to illegals sweeps and other showboating exercises to keep his name in the papers.

Since you asked my opinion, I despise him and have voted against him in every election since I got here in 1994.

It’s your own fault. You guys never offered him a reality show format to serve warrants on.

His methods are highly effective. His recidivism rate is way low.

I wish he’d run for President so I could vote for him.

And, as usual, Clothahump prefers his conservative fairy tales to actual statistics. Surprise!

I will defer to you, re your experience. But I wonder, how can he put people on chain gangs, if they haven’t even been convicted? There has to be a law against that.
Besides, my impression of him from television is that of a self satisfied, conceited attention whore, one who would even embarrass Buford T. Justice.

That’s simply not true. The Maricopa County recidivism rate has remained constant. The incarceration rate and the crime rate in Maricopa County have both increased. The cost of law enforcement has greatly increased. Maricopa County’s jail system received fifty times as many lawsuits as the jail systems of Chicago, Houston, New York, and Los Angeles - combined. Seventy thousand warrants were waiting to be served while Arpaio was negotiating a television deal to serve them on camera. cite cite cite cite

So you’ve got a sheriff who’s going around doing publicity stunts while ignoring law enforcement fundamentals. He’s raised expenses while lowering results. How is that highly effective?