Where do dreams come from (themes)

Last night I had a dream about a former friend of mine. It is really weird as we had a stupid misunderstanding last March ('99) and haven’t spoken since.

It was a sad thing, and after almost a year I do miss him, but where does a dream like this come from. I hadn’t thought of him in months.

It was a nice dream but it made me kinda sad all day as we aren’t friends anymore.

So where do powerful dreams like these come from and why?

About a week ago I had a dream about a friend of mine that I hadn’t talked to for months.

The night I had the dream was his birthday. Up until then, I had totally forgot.

“human beings, vegetables, or cosmic dust; we all dance to a mysterious tune, intoned in the distance by an invisible piper.” - albert einstein

It’s been a long time since I read it and I’m not sure I understood it then but …

Freud said they are driven by emotions you are unable to express conciously because of guilt or shame or repression, etc. There is a surface content which is largely derived from recent sensory experiences, and a deeper content derived from subconscious urgings and feelings.

So who knows if he was right or even on the right track? It’s a largely speculative area of study.

But it sounds to me like you miss your friend. Why don’t you give him a call and see if you can patch things up?

“pluto … a seriously demented but oddly addictive presence here.” – TVeblen

There is no doubt that dreams are very psychologically powerful. I had one once where I dreamt of a girl I was going to school with. She had held absolutely no interest for me… until I had a dream about her. After that, I had the biggest crush for her.

So maybe I was repressing my feelings for her and the dream brought them out, but I don’t think that my dreams typically represent any repressed emotions.

-Dragwyr
“If God had meant for man to eat waffles,
he would have given him lips like snowshoes”
-Rev. Billy C. Wirtz