Where is my homepage?

I feel like an idiot here, but here’s the question:

I just got access to a server for a client who wants me to do some editing to his site.

Well, I FTP in, and find the index page. There are actually two, index.htm and index.asp. Neither of them look like what I see when I go to the site (www.site.com/).

Does anyone have any idea why that would be, or how I can figure out the file name of the main page of a site?

Is it maybe some .asp thing? I’ve never worked with .asp or a windows server.

I’m in /site_com/web/

My server uses \public_html as the main directory.

You got one with that name?

I don’t. My tree looks like this:

/site_com/

W3SVC23/ (contains log files of some sort)
  web/

web contains other folders, and I may have actually found a clue . . .

In /web/jp/ is the file default.asp, which looks like the exact same thing that I see on the home page. However, when I renames the file it didn’t affect the home page.

This site is in nasty shape.

Ah! There’s a default.asp in my /web/ folder that was edited this month. I may have found the clue!

Sounds like it.

That’s all I have, sorry. Good luck. Sounds like you’re gonna need it.

Or maybe a complete burn and re-do is called for here.

Yup. For some reason Microsoft IIS likes to use “default.htm” and “default.asp” as their main index pages.

If this is a rental server you might be able to delete the defaults and it will roll to index.html if you, like everyone else, prefer to use it instead.

I’m probably a bit late here but I thought I’d chime in with this little gem: a lot of sites I’ve seen, for whatever harebrained reason, use the ‘standard’ index.whatever page… to redirect to whatever they’ve decided to call the ACTUAL home page.

Why they do this, I do not know. But it’s annoying as hell. As someone who (occasionally) gets paid to come in and clean stuff up for people, I’ve learned to look for this first if I’m experiencing the Mysterious Invisible Homepage syndrome.

Blargh. I blame the Stoopid. It burns!

Thanks for the tips!

I did figure it out, and I gently recommended that at some point the client might want to invest in some clean-up work on the back end of his site, so that things don’t take twice as long as they ought (also, no naming conventions for anything, no file structure, and tens and tens and tens of scraps of stuff that isn’t used, but is still live).