Where WERE the Avengers during FF 48-50?

That, of course, is when the Silver Surfer and Galactus first appeared. This was far enough into Marvel history that the World’s Mightiest Heroes should have been around; where the hell were they?

Drunk.

To paraphrase Mike W. Barr, they didn’t show up because the name of the book was The Fantastic Four, not The Entire Marvel Universe.

My guess is cleaning the Avengers Mansion bathroom after the Hulk went on a burrito binge. You really wouldn’t like him when he’s poopy.

Yes, but that’s story-EXTERNAL. I’m wondering if there’s ever been a story-internal explantion–that they were lost in time while batting Kang, or in Asgard, or in space , or whatever.

If memory serves, the Avengers lineup at the time was Captain America, Hawkeye, Quicksilver and the Scarlet Witch. Cap’s Kooky Quartet wasn’t really up to a cosmic battle.

Just a shot a in the dark; were they busy with the “Battle of Olympus” storyline?

MtM

It would have been a bit after the “Cap’s Kooky Quartet” thing–IIRC FF 48-50 came out in early '66 (or was cover dated that way, I don’t remember which) in which case the Swordsman(?), Goliath, Wasp and maybe Herc were involved.

Contemporary issues of Avengers would be in the late 20s or early 30s. Maybe they were in Atlantis fighting Attuma (Avengers ~27 or so?)

Perhaps they were off avenging whatever it was that they originally assembled in order to avenge?

Wikipedia says Galactus debuted in March '66 and an external site found through the Avengers’ page has that being the date of Avengers 26: The Voice of the Wasp and Fantastic Four 49 and 50 would have been concurrent with Avengers 27: Four Against the Floodtide and Avengers 28: Among Us Walks a Goliath.