So who in the MCU are still technically "Avengers" at this point? Does the "The Avengers" still exist as a team?

Given the various splits, blips, deaths, retirements, and legal entanglements, who is technically still an “Avenger” in the MCU at this point?

Is there still an “Avengers” team at this point?

Or is it really more of an informal thing?
“They’ll come back…because we need them to.” - Nick Fury

“If you step out that door, you are an Avenger.” - Clint “Hawkeye” Barton

“I know a guy.” - Sam “Falcon” Wilson

IOW, whenever the next world-threatening threat shows up, every and any superpowered person, their friends, sidekicks, fiancés, or whoever shows up to fight is considered an “Avenger”?

Right now, I don’t think there is technically an Avenger’s team. But pieces are in place to pull together at the moment.

I figure Spidey, New Cap & Winter Soldier, New Hawkeye & New Black Widow and of course Antman & maybe Wasp are all ready for the next team up as Avengers.

Stray people with Iron Man Suits are iffy at best. Thor is off planet and what is Banner’s deal these days?

As we know there will be a new Thor, she is likely, but so far in the MCU itself, not so much.

Since it’s in the trailer for the upcoming Spidey movie, I don’t think it’s a spoiler to note that Doctor Strange makes himself available if a guy with superstrength ever shows up at the proverbial doorstep (by which I, uh, mean the literal doorstep).

Also War Machine and Scarlet Witch perhaps? Maybe Vision? Valkyrie? She-Hulk? And whatever happens with the Defenders/Eternals down the road.

if the call goes out, the ones that answer the call and get the job done are called Avengers.

I’d say Banner, Thor, Scarlet Witch, War Machine and Hawkeye are still considered Avengers by pretty much everyone. Spidey and Dr. Strange are considered Avengers by those Avengers, though I doubt the general public thinks so (both are high profile heroes by association).

The gray area would be Falcon/Captain America, who mostly just helped Steve Rogers.

Everyone else - nah.

Falcon was among the new group of Avengers who was being trained by Steve (and Natasha) at the end of Age of Ultron; he was the Avenger on duty at their compound when Scott Lang broke into it during Ant-Man, and he was part of the Avengers team in the ill-fated mission in Lagos, Nigeria at the beginning of Captain America: Civil War.

However, he was also a member of Steve’s renegade group later on during Civil War, so his current affiliation may be unclear.

So we’re ruling out Super Grover?

According to this Wiki, the Avengers technically dis-assembled after returning all the stones.

Surprisingly, Nebula, Rocket, Okoye, were considered “Avengers”, presumably for their participation in the Time Heist and Okoye attending Natasha’s virtual standup at the beginning of Endgame. But it also describes the Avengers as “joining forces with the Masters of the Mystic Arts, the Wakandans, and the Guardians of the Galaxy”.

So clearly a lot of grey area.

I think the idea with these new movies and TV shows is to establish the new Avengers, and possibly Young Avengers, and even more possibly the all-women A-Force*. What I do know is right now there are no plans for another team-up movie specifically called Avengers.

*Some have speculated A-Force is what ScarJo agreed to stay with Disney to be a Producer on.

I wonder if we will ever see a return of Captain Carter. I hear Chris Evans has been loosing weight to play non-super Steve Rogers. Maybe not.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/gizmodo.com/captain-carter-suits-up-for-her-solo-comic-in-2022-1848199387/amp

Though i’d like to see more animated adventures with Hayley Atwel, she did a great job with the voice work, much better than some others (looking at you Sebastian Stan).

What if everyone who’d ever been an Avenger remained an Avenger?

Better than the Defenders.

Well, of the Original Six, Tony and Natasha are dead, Thor is traveling and will be in the fourth Thor movie traveling with the Guardians of the Galaxy (but Jane may inherit his powers), I’m not sure of Bruce’s status, Steve is very old and either retired or dead, and Clint is still active but possibly retired.

Spider-Man identified himself, Tony, and Doctor Strange as “The Avengers” after their fight with the Guardians in Infinity War. Now none of his old friends (or indeed, anyone in the world) know who Spider-Man is, or even who Peter Parker is.

In times of need, if someone steps up and says “Avengers Assemble!”, and others answer the cry, then the Avengers exist.

Who’s going to say that, though? The foundation of the team was Tony (infrastructure) and Steve (leadership). Without those two it’s like The Rolling Stones without Jagger and Richards. I think there is lots of potential for team-ups (of even three or more characters) but I hope the Avengers are pretty much just MCU history from here on out.

Like Pink Floyd, the Avengers are an idea that had their time, achieved great heights, saved the world from utter destruction, but then broke asunder and no attempt should be made to reassemble it out of spare parts. There are plenty of other team names; use one of those.

Stranger

The New Avengers will have the New Flying Captain America and Bucky, Antman, the New Hawkeye, probably bring Spiderman back in. Black Widows younger sister Yelena possibly as Black Widow, maybe Doctor Strange or Wong. Maybe Lady Thor, I believe they’re introducing Ms. Marvel shortly.
Also candidates are She-Hulk, Dare Devil, Moon Knight, Black Panther and who knows, maybe Squirrel Girl. :slight_smile:

But that’s like that band you saw at the county fair calling themselves The Coasters ten years after the last original member died.