Wherein Piper Cub defends the Queen

Being polite is not showing “subservience”. It’s just being polite. Particularly as a guest in a very elderly person’s home. You don’t take a seat when someone who needs the chair is left standing. You hold the door for someone with their arms full.

And for pete’s sake, could he really not remember instructions for more than 7 seconds? I’m sure he was told to walk beside her and on which side but the doofus is too stupid and proud.

And he represented his country poorly, by not knowing or following the etiquette rules that his host desired. He was not gracious or polite; he was, at best, boorish.

He was wrong because he dared to walk in front of the Queen. At no time should he have been in front of her; it’s not a difficult concept, yet Trump still managed to either ignore it or fuck it up.

Monarch of Canada.
The Crown of Canada is a separate entity from the British crown that just happens to reside in the same individual.

Thing is, like a lot of rules of etiquette, “do not walk in front of your host” is actually a matter of practicality (that in this particular instance the host happened to be QEII is a specific case of the more-general rule). Why are you walking in front when you don’t have the fuckingest where things are, and the host does?

Exactly right. The American President doesn’t have to bend a knee to any foreign leader, real or inherited, even if it upsets the home-schooled/self-taught children of Canadians.

OTOH, there is proof that children can successfully be trained to repeat anything. Congratulations to all concerned.

There’s a middle you seem to be excluding: the choice isn’t between being deferential and being a motherfucking asshole, it’s called being a polite and pleasant person.

Of course Donald can be deferential and obsequious as witnessed by his verbal fellation of Putin.

No, “we” fought a freaking war because “we” didn’t want to pay taxes.

And you’d wrong. The American Revolution began when 700 British soldiers marched from Boston, MA towards Lexington, and Concord in order to confiscate the arms (ie. muskets, pistols, shot, powder, tomahawks, knives, cannon, etc.) that the British colonists had stored there. British colonist armed resistance was able to slow the British soldier’s advance at Lexington, which gave the British colonists more time to form up at the North Bridge and stop the British military’s arms confiscation.

While we objected to taxation without representation, we went to war over firearms confiscation.

Well played, sir! (Yes, for a minute there, I did think you were an idiot!)

I admit that I might have committed the same faux pas had it not been inspecting the friggin Guard. (And of course if I had not been briefed beforehand). But I certainly wouldn’t want to give the impression that I was inspecting the Guard as if it were mine by going in front. That seems pretty commonsensical.

I doubt if the Queen is particularly bothered. She put up with the Ceaucescus, after all.

The Daily Mash captured it neatly.

She hid in a bush to avoid casual small talk with that dread couple when she was out on an early morning stroll with the dogs (possibly, maybe, according to Robert Hardman)

I see Piper Cub as a Midshipman in the Napoleonic Wars.

Just like there’s no need for the American President to walk holding hands with a foreign king. Oh wait…

And you definitely don’t want the American President kissing a foreign king on the lips. No sir! Oh. I mean…

Was George really there for the oil? :eek:

(post shortened)

(post shortened)

The student learns from their master. Who is going to exile the POTUS? Newfies? Queebs? The Edmonton Oilers? Who are these buddy presidents in other countries who won’t let that happen? I’m not sure the Queen would be pleased with your training.

The Royal Navy will take him to Elba, with the bloody Black Watch to guard him!
God save the Queen!