Sailboat
Member Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 695
Location:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ignatz
I received from the bank a $5 bill that has stamped on it in red ink the message, "See where I’ve been. Track where I go next! <www.wheresgeorge.com>. "
[QUOTE=Sailboat]
To pick a nit, George isn’t ON the $5 bill. Geroge Washington is on the $1 bill. Is whoever stamped the $5 bill implying Honest Abe might know where George is?
Don’t know. It’s first stop was Va. Beach, then traveled 500+ miles to me over 38 days, then I logged it. Ignatz
[QUOTE=nesta]
As others have said, it’s legit and fun if you’re into that sort of thing. I did it for a couple of years and had quite a few hits, and I still get a kick out finding bills “in the wild” and entering them. I got tired of having everyone I handed cash to stare at the bills, realize all of them had the stamp, and then asking me what it was about. I then started only stamping about half my bills and mixing them when spent. The novelty wore off after a while, though, so I don’t do it any more.
If you haven’t already you might want to check their faq.
They say:
“#8 Is it legal to write on or mark currency?
Where’s George? does not encourage the defacement of U.S. Currency. The law defines ‘illegal’ defacement as defacement that renders bills unfit to be re-issued. For the legal details from the U.S. Bureau of Engraving and Printing, please Click Here”
Sending bills to friends, while fun, is frowned on by the Where’s George community. The rules outlines this:
“#1 Natural Circulation
The purpose of Where’s George? is to track the natural and geographic circulation of currency. This means that any bills you enter should be spent by you in the normal course of everyday life. Giving bills to friends, relatives and/or associates for the purpose of re-entry into the website violates the whole premise of Where’s George?. After you enter any bills, just enter them into natural circulation by spending them as you would any other bills. Sending bills via U.S mail or any transportation methods to people in other locales does not constitute natural and geographic circulation. In general, the Where’s George? definition of natural and geographic circulation is spending your cash in the course of any normal transaction with any unknown person/entity.”
Do it if you want, though… all in the name of fun.
[/QUOTE]
I was going to send it to a friend 1200 miles away, but, I will spend it for lunch tomorrow. Thanks, all.
Ignatz