Which Animated Feature Oscar-nominee would you vote for?

One CG, two stop-motion, and two cel animation reps in contention.

Up has four other nominations: Picture, Original Screenplay, Original Score, and Sound Editing

FMF has one other nomination: Original Score

P&tF has two other nominations, both in the Original Song category.

Hard not to pick Up.

I’d vote for Fantastic Mr. Fox, but I haven’t yet seen The Secret of Kells. I think Up will win, but I’d just love it if Fox pulled off a surprise win. It would be such an honor to stop-motion animation plus I’d just giggle for months at the thought of Wes Anderson finally getting an Oscar. It would also be a nice nod to George Clooney and Meryl Streep, who probably won’t win the Lead Oscars they’re up for.

I’ve only seen *Up *and Princess and the Frog so I can’t really cast a meaningful vote. I’ve wanted to see Coraline and Mr. Fox but just didn’t get around to it. I love stop-motion.

Out of the two I saw, I would go with Up, although I really did like the songs in P&tF.

I went with Up on the basis of the plot and that astounding montage near the beginning, although it’s just a 51/49 split with Coraline for me. Haven’t seen FMF or Kells; liked PatF but wasn’t as blown away by it as by the other two I saw.

I’ve seen four out of the five (I don’t know how you’d see Kells at this point), and I don’t think you could go wrong with Up, Fox, or Coraline. I voted for Coraline, just because it left me thinking more than the others.

I’d say Up for funny (and touching in places).

And Fox for odd and different (which is always a good thing).

Princess is fine, but just way out of it’s league with the others.

Doesn’t the laws of natures state that Pixar movies must win this category?

Of course, it’s the first time in quite a while where its competition isn’t Ice Age or Happy Feet. Death to uninspired CGI movies with talking polar animals, finally!

Secret of Kells - it has to be seen. While I enjoyed Up and am a total Gaiman fanboy too, I think Kells does amazing things with artwork and imagination. Plus it’s not completely cel-animation, bits of it are done with Blender, which needs kudos.

Actually, the first year this category was introduced, it lost…to Shrek. Cars also lost (to Happy Feet).

Amen!

I’m very much looking forward to seeing Secret of Kells when it opens in a couple of months.

Spirited Away won too, but it was in in a year when there was no Pixar film to nominate. The competition was Ice Age, Lilo & Stitch, Treasure Planet and Spirit: Stallion of the Cimarron (or Stallion: Spirit of the Cimarron, or Cimarron: Spirit of the Stallion, or Stallion: Cimarron of the Spirit, or Spirit: Cimarron of the Stallion, Cimarron: Stallion of the Spirit, or…*)

• stolen and paraphrased from an old issue of Premiere.

I’ve only seen Up. It certainly felt like a winner to me, though.

It may be edged out by the infeasible popularity of Fantastic Mr Fox, though.

That was the only previous time that there were 5 nominees, so I’d like to believe the Hollywood vote got split and diluted 4 ways (especially with no Pixar representative) and Miyazaki was able to eke out a well-deserved victory.

This year is the 2nd time there have been 5 nominees, but with Pixar’s Best Picture and Screenplay nods, I think this is about as safe a bet as one could imagine in this year’s race.

bumping the original :stuck_out_tongue: