Which dressing gown do you prefer?

[quote=“TroutMan, post:19, topic:933162”]I notice that your avatar is one of the gowns. Do you work for them, or just really like their gowns?

[/quote]

I just like gowns.

I’m thinking of buying one, but might wait until I go to London. If you look at their prices, you get hit pretty hard by the exchange.

I know they are ridiculously expensive, but they will last a lifetime, and you can wear it everyday. Ideally, you’d have a lined and unlined gown, but I have heating and air conditioning.

For those wondering, there isn’t a true difference between a robe and a dressing gown. It’s kind of like sweatpants vs fine trousers. Obviously, it’s not absorbant like a bathrobe.

Normally I’m all about the paisley but that peacock one is quite fine.

The paisley one, I think, although I like them both.

I think I’d get the peacock if it was the same weight.

For fans of the show Sherlock, the gowns in that were from Derek Rose.

Paisley

Definitely Paisley.

At that price, it would be a one-time purchase for me, so I would want the one that I feel would be an every-day thing. Peacock would be second, a year or two down the road, as a special treat.

The prices are a bit of a shock, but it makes sense–it’s a piece of fine men’s apparel that you will use for many years to come.

I have a beaver-felt fedora that I bought in Manhattan many years ago for several hundred dollars. It is a fine hat, and I use it all winter long. The original cost isn’t an issue since I have used it for the past decade on most cold days.

One cannot make a choice like this in a vacuum (asphyxiation, decompression, etc.); I’d want my dressing gown to coordinate with my leopard skin pillbox hat.

A warm ochre accent would complement the cool colors of The Peacock — as the orange mannequin head in the photo sufficiently demonstrates.

Faux leopard skin, I hope.

According to this Wikipedia writer:
“Leopard-Skin Pill-Box Hat” is a song by Bob Dylan, from his 1966 album Blonde on Blonde. Like many other Dylan songs of the 1965–1966 period, the song features a surreal, playful lyric set to an electric blues accompaniment. The pillbox hat was a fashionable ladies’ hat in the United States in the early to mid-1960s, most famously worn by Jacqueline Kennedy. Dylan satirically crosses this accessory’s high-fashion image with leopard-skin material, perceived as more downmarket and vulgar.
+++++++

If that is to be believed (“downmarket and vulgar”), then the hat is certainly faux fur, but on the other hand, the songwriter is obsessed with seeing if the hat is “really that expensive kind.” Otherwise, all I know is that it balances on a head just like a mattress balances on a bottle of wine – and that it should be a good match for the peacock gown.

The gowns have their own matching hats. (They are ridiculous.) I’m pretty sure they will custom make a hat to match any gown provided they have the silk. But I think an outright match would be vulgar.

It does strike that a smoking hat is pretty similar to a pillbox hat.

Convergent evolution. The pillbox hat was a fashionable take on the classic military forage-cap style, close-fitting unembellished headgear. The smoking cap was likewise a functional close-fitting hat, in this case designed to protect the hair from tobacco smoke so the wearer wouldn’t reek of smoke for hours afterwards.

Damn, I could have used one for many meetings in years past.

Navy paisley. Edited to add: it’s over 2K. Gulp.