Which preschoolers' TV shows are the most tolerable?

Or are there any?To be clear,I’m not saying you have to like the shows,I’m just asking for any show that you can watch with your children without wanting to bang your head against the wall.The kind of shows I’m talking about is shows from the Blue’s Clues age group.Thanks for coming to the thread.

I find Toopy and Binoo the least infuriating of the shows me niece watches, aside from My Little Pony (which I willingly watch myself).

On the other hand, she also watches Caillou and Dora the Explorer, both of which drive me nuts.

I love Peep and the Big Wide World, and Pocoyu (sp?) is also kind of adorable. Both are on PBS. (I’d post links, but it’s a PITA when I’m using my phone. Both should be searchable from pbs.org, though.)

Yeah,there’s just something about Dora the Explorer that irritates me.I know it’s educational,teaching kids Spanish and all, but I can hardly stand it.I’m not sure why;maybe it’s because of Dora’s football-shaped head,or maybe it’s because of the fact that the characters are always happy no matter what happens.It’s probably both.But anyway,I can’t help but feel a little perverse joy when Swiper steals their stuff.

If I just went with tolerated, the list would be shorter if I just listed the ones I couldn’t tolerate. Generally stuff like Teletubbies. So I’ll go with those I at least sorta like.

I haven’t seen any in a long time, since cutting cable, but the ones I remember having liked as a late teen or adult are:

Blues Clues: It’s cute. And less annoying than most with the audience interaction. It’s kinda fun to see if you can figure out the mystery with the first clue, too.
Handy Manny: it helps by being funny.
Gullah Gullah Island: it had a lot of singing in a style I like.
Allegra’s Window: Don’t remember why I liked it. I think maybe it had singing, and I think I identified with the Allegra character, even though she was a kid.
Pappy Drew It: Mostly for the actual drawing segments.
Charlie and Lola: It makes me nostalgic for being a kid, and the cute accents kept it from getting annoying.
Face: Not really a show, but the announcer on Nick Jr. for a while. The old one was often genuinely funny. The new one deserved the Robot Chicken parody. (unfortunately I couldn’t find it in a quick Google search.)

Yeah, and also it’s good to see a show that not only is educational for kids but also features Elvis impressions.

I can tolerate Handy Mandy, Bubble Guppies, Little Einsteins and Mickey Mouse Clubhouse.

It does amaze me the things I can tolerate these days.

The thing about Dora was (for me) two fold.
a) I’m the map, I’m the map, I’m the map, I’m the map, I’m the map, I’m the map, I’m the map, I’m the map, I’m the map, I’m the map, I’m the map. I think I counted once and it repeats like 17 times.

b)When Dora/the map asks a question and then waits like 15 seconds for a response.

Also, I really couldn’t stand Max and Ruby. Ruby will have some problem to solve and spend the entire time shooing away Max (usually in a fairly rude way) at the end Max comes up with the solution and Ruby takes the credit. Other then the fact that they were bunnies and had fairly soft voices and the kids that watched it probably didn’t grasp what was going on, I never really felt it was a good kid’s show…and I have no problem letting my 4-6 year old watch Spongebob or iCarly. This wasn’t just once in a while, it’s was the formula. Also, Max, in each episode, only speaks two words over and over.

I know this is the opposite of what the OP wants, but it’s all I could think of.

I think that Bubble Guppies is one of the few decent preschool shows from the last few years.The singing on that show is actually pretty good(relatively so, anyway), and I think that’s what makes it more tolerable than most other shows from the genre.

Ditto on Charlie and Lola, if only because they provide a few moments of calm after all the shouting by Dora, the Kratt brothers, et al.

But my all-time favorite will always be The Backyardigans. I still listen to the CD, which embarrasses my now-nine-year-old daughter. Don’t know if they’re still on the air, but if they’re not, buy the DVDs. (The first season was better.)

Oddly enough, the URLs are:

and

Who knew? :smiley:

Phineas & Ferb?

Does that count?

No. I was so happy to make it to the Phineas & Ferb years.

Tiny Planets is good, if it’s on where you are. Unfortunately, it’s like a five-minute short.

My boys (2 & almost 4) both love the Octonauts which is actually OK enough to watch with them. Shaun the Sheep and Timmy time (both Aardman) are also good.
Mind you, they both love Futurama and Wallace & Gromit (my boys are awesome :slight_smile: )

Pocoyo
Bubble Guppies
Yo Gabba Gabba (the lead character “Dj Lance Rock” is from St. Louis and was pretty big in the late 90’s, early 00’s in the rave scene)

What’s wrong with Tom and Jerry and Popeye and stuff?

That’s what my preschooler watched.

Well, they are simple enough for them to watch… I wouldn’t let young children watch happy tree friends though.

The least annoying preschool shows I am aware of are:Yo Gabba Gabba

Pancake Mountain

The Wiggles
Caveat: Parents with different sensibilities may find these show more annoying than the median. I like them because they approach children’s entertainment from the position that just because it’s for kids doesn’t mean it has to suck - and also because they are awesome. I concede that this may strongly correlate with how hard I partied before I settled down and had kids. :slight_smile:

I can’t stand Yo Gabba Gabba - the show makes my skin crawl for some reason.

My sister, who is a wonderful person in many ways, knowing that two things I really dislike are the Wiggles and Steve Irwin got this for my oldest sons first christmas. Revenge is still being planned on that one :slight_smile:

Just introduced the mini-Popes to the* Road Runner *cartoons which have become the greatest things ever commited to film according to them.

The Fresh Beat Band, on NickJr, is pretty good.

Also, my two-year-old loves Team Umizoomi and Pocoyo (already mentioned), and they’re good too. Also on NickJr.

There’s also The Upside-Down Show, which NickJr used to show but doesn’t anymore. It was hilarious, even for adults.