Which TV and movie casts absolutely despised each other?

I think I just experienced my first whoosh.

These are some great little anecdotes; thanks for posting, and keep 'em coming!

To that end, I’ve heard tell (I think this may have even been mentioned in the doco The Godfather Family: A Look Inside, or maybe it was in a contemporaneous Entertainment Weekly article, I’m not sure) that Al Pacino and Diane Keaton started having a torrid affair and broke up during the filming of The Godfather, Part III, and that that made some shooting days rather … uncomfortable.

Who did Debra Winger actually enjoy working with? I’ve got an old interview she did with Vanity Fair, and it mentions her having quarrels with Robert Redford, Shirley McLaine, and most of her directors (one whom she refers to as “an animal”). Funny thing is that most people outside the industry say she treated them great.

Bizarrely enough they reunited for a second Sonny and Cher show after their divorce. You can probably guess why lasted only a few months.

At least on Lucy’s side there was still a flame there. In a Spin interview with Jenny Lewis (who worked on Ball’s last TV show), she remembers being there when Ball found out Arnaz had died. Lewis remembered Ball being “devastated and inconsolable”.

I have a question. In the field of actors behaving like putzes, you always hear about the women (Bette Davis and Joan Crawford) catfighting and feuding, rivals to the bitter end. Are there any recorded examples of MEN who don’t get along on a project? I can’t think of any. I know some behave badly to everyone.

Yeah, I wonder if she regretted divorcing him. When he died she heaped praise on him for the success of I Love Lucy, as an actor and producer. To paraphrase “He could get more laughs with one line of broken English than I could with a show full of pratfalls”. If they had taken a break from the show maybe they could have patched things up.

IIRC, Martin and Lewis did a cameo on the premiere of the second Sonny&Cher series highlighting past breakups.

Frank Capra’s last movie was A Pocketful of Miracles. He was so fed up with Glenn Ford he gave up directing. As mentioned before, Martin&Lewis, Abbot&Costello. Surely others.

John Belushi despised Chevy Chase when they worked together on Saturday Night Live (Belushi was very jealous of Chase, and Chase talked down to most of the other cast members, exacerbating the bad feelings all around) and Bill Murray was goaded (by Belushi and Dan Aykroyd) into actually taking a swing at Chevy Chase backstage when Chase returned to guest host SNL the year after he left the show full time.

To this day, the only scene that Bill Murray and Chevy Chase have ever appeared together in was the brief bit in Caddyshack in Carl Speckler’s (Bill Murray) crashpad at Bushwood Country Club.

“Yeah, we’ve got a pool, and a pond; the pond would be good for you…”

Just to clarify: Jerry Lewis’s films were often thought by French critics to be truly sophisticated comedies, Blake Edwards level. This in contrast with the image that Lewis had in the States. But he was never a “Big In France” star.
I dont think it will dispel the myth across the Atlantic, but you might want to know.

From what I understand Desi and Lucy they loved each other. It’s just that Desi was an drunken asshole. Much later in life, when he was dying I think, he gave an interview and said that their divorce was pretty much all his fault because he was dumb and arrogant.

Didn’t Desi Arnaz physically beat up Lucille Ball on more than one occasion?

It seems like I read that he actually hit her on the set of “I Love Lucy” in front of several other people, and it was just swept under the rug, as was common in those days.

Never? I thought Cecil told us that he was well received in the 1960’s.

I mean, he did get a pretty big award there a few years ago.

Yeah I know. But it’s a meme here, along with Cheese Eating Surrender Monkeys.

Was this a whoosh, or are there people who actually consider Blake Edwards movies “sophisticated?”

They are considered as such in France, especially “The Party” (dont ask me why, I love Blake Edwards but I find “The Party” to be utter shit, with only one good joke in it).

The feuds between Laverne and Shirley (Penny Marshall, Cindy Williams) were often in the gossip papers.

Penny went on to a hugely successful career as a director. Cindy seemed to disappear after the show ended.

Together they were a brilliant comedy team. It’s a shame they only worked together a few years.

See here http://www.cracked.com/article/135_6-beloved-tv-shows-that-traumatized-cast-members-life_p2/ for a few details.

The cast of Taxi! (especially Judd Hirsch and Jeff Conaway) absolutely hated Andy Kauffman. When the latter appeared on set as his alter ego Tony Clifton accompanied by two real hookers Hirsch and Conaway exploded and physically confronted him. Kauffman’s forcible removal from the studio by security guards was totally staged as part of the whole stunt but the anger of the other cast members was very real. They considered Kauffman unprofessional and were angered by his often-voiced contempt for the sitcom that was paying all their wages.

Bob Denver reportedly lobbied for Wells and Johnson to get equal billing with the other members of the cast after the first season. The producers initially refused, stating that it would be too expensive to re-shoot and re-score the opening. Denver then pointed out a clause in his contract that allowed him to have his name billed anywhere in the credits he chose and demanded to then have his name moved to the end credits along with Wells and Johnson. The studio capitulated and had Wells and Johnson billed as main cast members behind Tina Louise and the theme re-recorded to mention “the Professor and Mary Ann.” Denver never mentioned this to anyone in the cast and Dawn Wells said she only found out about this many years after the show ended.

I remember reading that Tony Curtis absolutely despised Marilyn Monroe (sorry, no cite). When he had to make love (i.e., kiss and cuddle) with her on “Some Like It Hot,” he is reported to have said it was like “kissing Hitler.”

Hmmmm, on further reflection, I *do *have a cite, although it seems that Curtis was backpedaling on the quip.

Erol Flynn used to say the same thing, but as compliment.