Who are our current "Abe Vigodas"? (people you might be surprised to learn are still alive)

Glad someone noticed!

The Dionne Quintuplets born in 1934 have two surviving members who have just celebrated their 87th birthday.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dionne_quintuplets

I mentioned in the B. J. Thomas obituary thread that I was surprised to find that composer Burt Bacharach is still alive at 93.

And Gavin MacLeod’s recent death surprisingly revealed that Ed Asner is still chugging along at 91. I know he’s been mentioned before in this thread, but still - of all the people on MTM, who’d have guessed the overweight slob would be the one to last so long?

(And of course Betty White is eternal - 99 and still hella funny.)

He was just so much younger on the show than we realized.

Dick van Dyke has been mentioned in this thread as still living at 95. He was interviewed on CBS This Morning and appears to be in astounding shape for a man of his age.

I’m a little surprised that it took this long for Dick van Dyke to get honored by the Kennedy Center.

Last year Orson Bean was crossing the street when he failed to properly cope with traffic (or traffic failed to properly cope with him). It took two cars to do him in. At age 91.

My brother has his Members Only jacket! Or did. His (bro’s) wife had a landscaping business for house plants and did the plants at Bacharach’s house. She was given his old jacket one day and gave it to my brother. From then on it Bacharach’s jacket.

Pat Boone is 87. Doesn’t it seem like he should be in his 90s…or at least dead???

I mean, heck, his daughter Debby is 64!

Same for Joan Baez.

That’s because …

he’s a dancer! :man_dancing:

I just learnt that van Dyke had a cameo in the Mary Poppins sequel and it’s the most delightful thing ever.

I just discovered that Harry Belafonte is still alive. He turned 94 earlier this year. He recorded the ‘Banana Boat’ song (Day-O!) in 1956.

I had the impression 20 years ago that Jerry Lee Lewis was teetering on the brink (hard living). But he’s still hanging in at 85 or so, though apparently not performing any more.

How about Henry Kissinger? Still alive at 98, still married to Nancy, still (as far as I know) living up in Kent, Connecticut.

There are a few rock stars and actors that don’t fit the Abe Vigoda thing, but I’m always shocked are still alive simply because I’m shocked their lifestyle didn’t kill them - or at least take years off their lives. Keith Richards is one. Boy George is another.

I read Wikipedia’s obituaries each day, as well as the day’s birthdays of prominent people. I look to see who’s the oldest person born that day, and then how many names down the list until its someone I knew of. Today is Jackie Mason’s 90th.

I have no idea why, but for some reason I thought I remembered hearing that the wonderful Canadian actor Michael Hogan, who played Colonel Tigh on Battlestar Galactica, had passed away. I was finally watching the 12 Monkeys series recently, and I was thrilled to see him in six episodes in season 3 (I think), after it took me a minute to recognize him. When I checked imdb to confirm it was who I thought it was, I was surprised to read that he was indeed still kicking. Not sure where the notion that he’d died came from; he’s only 72 or so anyway.

He had a bad fall and has indeed had a long recovery. He is not back to full health yet, but yes, he is a live and recovering.

He hit his head really bad and felt ok until the middle of the night when he realized something was wrong. His wife has been taking care of him.