Who are our current "Abe Vigodas"? (people you might be surprised to learn are still alive)

I was surprised to see that Dabney Coleman (89) is still alive. I was really surprised to see that musician John Mayall (88) is still alive.

Wow, that’s enough of them to make a Taxi reunion show. Do it, NBC.

Sid Krofft (born July 30, 1929) and Marty Krofft (born April 9, 1937)

Clu Gulager (born November 16, 1928)
I mostly know him from Return Of The Living Dead but he was in a huge assload of stuff.

I think I had them in my SDMB Celebrity Death Pool list back in 2006. Every couple years since then I’ve been checking to see if they’re dead yet, and am always amazed to learn that they aren’t. So if they ever do pass way unnoticed by the Doper crowd, you’ll probably hear the news from me sooner or later.

She just passed away:

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/10/12/movies/ruthie-tompson-dead.html

Wow, and I thought Dougie Slocombe was one of the oldest Hollywood behind-the-scenes guys when he died at 103.

I just learned that Doc Severinsen is still alive at age 94.

Watching that old short film reminded me of how everyone on the early years of the show expected Garrett Morris would be the first to die. He had a serious drug abuse problem back in the seventies . But he cleaned up and is still alive and working at 84 (and he and his wife celebrated their 25th wedding anniversary this year).

I was surprised to learn today that several members of the original Glenn Miller Orchestra are still alive, including trumpeter Ray Anthony (born 1922), vocalist Dorothy Claire (born 1925), and possibly bassist Doc Goldberg (who Wikipedia lists as still alive but about whom I haven’t been able to find any reliable birth or death dates).

The play Play It Again, Sam opened on Broadway in 1969. Fifty-two years later, its main cast are all still alive; Woody Allen (86), Diane Keaton (75), Tony Roberts (82), and Jerry Lacy (85). This cast also did the 1972 film. Joseph Hardy, the play’s director, is also still alive at 92.

Old timey comedians Shecky Greene and Scoey Mitchell are still alive at 95 and 91, respectively.

I recently had occasion to re-read some poetry by Irving Feldman and was surprised to learn that he’s still with us at 93.

I was sure that James Burke of Connections and The Day the Universe Changed had passed away. Those shows were made in the late 70s/early 80s, and he seemed old (to me) then. But he’s 86 and still plugging away.

I watched some of the Rockefeller Plaza tree lighting last night. Among the stars who performed was Jose Feliciano. I was surprised that he was still alive.

I’ll go a bit farther… if you watch that video attentively, Chase and Paul Simon are actually doing a funny comedy bit. Chevy being Chevy, stealing the scene, with Simon getting increasingly mock-frustrated as the Chase nearly steals the entire video including the lyrics. The visual contrast of a 6’4" Chase foiling a 5’3" Simon just adds to the humor.

But the main thing that makes it work is that Chase is known as a scene-stealing jerk. If that’s what your film needs, he’s definitely your guy. The same mechanism can be seen at work in Community.

Was just perusing the reviews of West Side Story (2021) and I was surprised to still see Rex Reed still going strong at 83.

I had a chance to see him when he came to town but I didn’t go :disappointed:

I had no idea Gene Hackman was still alive until I saw some of you all’s 2022 celebrity death list.

Retired to write novels instead of acting. Doesn’t really do interviews or appearances anymore.