Who are our current "Abe Vigodas"? (people you might be surprised to learn are still alive)

Huh. Appropriately named for it, then.

Bob Uecker.

William Daniels and spouse Bonnie Bartlett are still alive at 94 and 92.

Berry Gordy, founder of Motown Records, is 92 and still very much alive.

I would have put John Madden on this list. I’m assuming I mentally check him off as dead back when Pat Summerall died.

A few weeks ago, ABC had a live show showing present-day actors performing scripts from episodes of Facts of Life and Diff’rent Strokes. Jimmy Kimmel hosted and introduced Norman Lear, who produced both shows (and many others). He’ll be 100 years old in July.

I heard him on NPR and they asked him the key to living so long. His answer was one of the few I have taken to heart. He said that for him, once something happens, he says in his head, “OK. Done. Next”

He meant good or bad. The highs are amazing, but he always felt great for awhile and then told himself, “OK. Done. Next.” The lows/bads are also really difficult. He processed his frustration or grief(or anger) and then told himself, “OK. Done. Next.” He said his refusal to linger or hold onto things too long helped him live a long time.

Neat guy.

bob dole died two days before that, too.
jinx

One thing I have noticed is with the old TV shows, if somebody dies in the show, the actor may well still be around. There were a few characters on Star Trek who were unthinkably old according to the show who died young. One of them was being made all but immortal by magic flowers but the actor passed on even before the episode aired. Numerous characters who got shot down on Gunsmoke are the actors who are still around or died very recently. It is almost a given. Perhaps it is the extra dialog that the survivors had to utter that shortened their lives.

And 2 years after this post was made Larry Storch is still with us at the age of 99.

While Johnny Carson and Ed McMahon have died, Doc Severinsen is still alive at 94.

Who thought after nearly 30 years on the Tonight Show, he’d live another 30 years post-Tonight show?

Who thought that he would live long enough for an entire generation to be able to grow up and ask “Who’s Doc Severinsen?”?

Another one for the “still with us two years later” file: the Pope Emeritus turned 95 last month.

An avid obituary reader, I’m usually well on top of who’s underground. I know Robert Clary from Hogan’s Heroes and Roger Corman are still alive, but I had to confirm that Galloping Gourmet Graham Kerr was too.

MAD Magazine’s Al Jaffee is 101! (apologies if he was mentioned earlier; I couldn’t find it)

Happy belated birthday to the Say Hey Kid, who turned 91 on May 6th.

Willie is, in fact, the oldest living Baseball Hall-of-Famer.

Angela Lansbury seems like she should be older, because she started so young. She was only 18 when she made Gaslight (her first movie). It was released when she was 19.

Very surprised to see that Loretta Lynn is still with us.

Ah, the fold in guy!