Who has been to a recent Chicago concert?

Chicago is coming to play a concert in my town. I am thinking about going, and wondering what to expect if I do go. Do they play mainly their new songs, the classics, or a little of both? I’m guessing I won’t be seeing Peter Cetera, but has he made any appearances with Chicago lately?

I wouldn’t look for Peter Cetera. In a 2013 interview he said he doesn’t even talk to the members of Chicago anymore and there aren’t any plans for a reunion.

How recent is “recent”? My wife and I went to a Chicago concert around 2005 or so, and no, Peter Cetera wasn’t there, but they played plenty of the Cetera-era hits as well as a number of earlier ones. No “new” songs that I’d never heard before.

Here’s setlists from the recent tour. (Not every date has data. You can see at a glance which do, like May 6)

In case anyone wonders, there are 4 original band members still touring with Chicago: Singer/pianist Robert Lamm (the band’s primary songwriter; he also sang lead on hits like “Saturday in the Park” and “Does Anybody Really Know What Time It Is?”) and the entire horn section.

As others have noted, Peter Cetera has had no contact with his old band in ages. I have no firsthand knowledge as to why, but he says they pretty much shunned him when he first went solo, and never forgave him. He thought he deserved more consideration than that after 15 years with the band, especially since he waited to leave until the band had made a big comeback, largely due to Cetera songs like “Hard to Say I’m Sorry.”

The others have their own version of how things went down, no doubt.

If CHicago ever gets into the Rock Hall of Fame, we’ll see if they can bury the hatchet for one night.

Chicago Trivia:

The song 25 or 6 to 4 refers to the time. As in, “it is 25 minutes to 4, or perhaps 26 minutes to 4.”

Over 30 years before I learned that.

From Cecil, no doubt.

Thank you for all the replies. I think I will go check them out. I live in Corpus Christi, and we don’t usually get big name acts here. I’m still kicking myself for missing Cetera when he played at the Margaritaville in Bossier City earlier this year. It looks like he doesn’t tour much these days.

I saw them last year. Walt Parazaider (sax?) was out because of health problems, so they only had 3 original members. It was still a very good show even with only 3 original members.

At the show I saw they played hits from both the 70s and 80s. I believe they will be releasing a new CD of all new material in about a month, so they will surely play songs from that on their current tour.